ICH? I'm not sure

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The salt will dissolve, eventually, but it will create a higher concentration of salty water in that location as it does, which can harm the fish.
Exactly.

If any of you have actually used salt to treat fish then you can comment. If you have never used salt to treat fish then please keep your opinions to yourself.

Aquasonic Fungonex contains methylene blue and euflavine, so monitor the ammonia and nitrite in the tank because methylene blue kills filter bacteria.

If any of you have actually used salt to treat fish then you can comment. If you have never used salt to treat fish then please keep your opinions to yourself.

Aquasonic Fungonex contains methylene blue and euflavine, so monitor the ammonia and nitrite in the tank because methylene blue kills filter bacteria.

Your post would imply that you are the only one involved in the conversation who has used salt to treat fish... that would be fallacious.

If you find something offered as advice to be in error, then feel free to offer reasons as to why you believe it is in error. Otherwise, it is not the role of members to try to censor the comments from other members.

I'm not implying that at all. I'm simply stating if people have never used salt to treat fish, they shouldn't make comments about something they do not know anything about.

image.jpeg

Salt? Thats the stuff that makes coffee sweet?

I have never used salt to treat an illness, I’m in the camp of if you keep fish in their optimal water chemistry their immune systems will do a better job of fighting of illness than any foreign chemical I could add. But I have kept marine tanks and I know for a fact that you can’t suddenly change factors like salinity in a tank which is why you have to dissolve salt first before adding it to a tank for any reason.

If you keep a fish in soft acidic water that should be housed in hard alkaline water, it will stress the fish and make it more susceptible to decease. I thought that was common fish sense.

And not to be rude, but I find it the height of arrogance to assume a moderator on this forum doesn’t know what he/she is talking about and basically tell them to keep quiet. Wow.

Just because they are a moderator, it does not mean they know everything. And my post wasn't aimed at them directly. It was about anyone who was making comments about salt being used to treat fish, when those individuals have never used salt.

As for salinity changes in water. If fish are in freshwater and salt is added, they absorb a bit more salt and have a little more salt in their system for a few hours until their bodies stabilise. However, if you take a saltwater fish and put it in freshwater, the fish takes on a heap of fresh water rapidly (through osmosis) and its cells can rupture due to the sudden influx of freshwater.

So adding salt to a freshwater tank is less of an issue than adding freshwater to a salted or saltwater tank.

-------------------------
And salt is a much safer alternative than any medication out there.
eg: malachite green & formaldehyde are often used to treat protozoan infections in fish. Both these chemicals cause cancer. Salt also treats protozoan infections in freshwater fishes and it does not cause cancer.

After this post, To avoid arguments I for one will not reply to any post that Colin has replied to.

Last edited:
After this post, To avoid arguments I for one will not reply to any post that Colin has replied to.
so if I reply to everything you won't reply to any :)
you will deprive the world of your help there Nick :)

I saw nothing wrong with what Colin said . I repeated it at the aquarium where I buy fish they agreed with salt being used. They also told me that rainbow fish like harder water and that the water parameters were stressing the fish. I thought Nicks original response to Colin was a bit over the top and unnecessary. I found the whole thing pretty amusing.

As for Stan Leo he obviously never has a sick fish because of his optimal water parameters yada yada:rolleyes:why comment then? . I have 3 tanks I've kept fish for 14 years and I haven't lost a fish for years other than to old age. I'm willing to ask for help if I need it.

They also told me that rainbow fish like harder water and that the water parameters were stressing the fish.

That's what I said in post #8 ;)

Not all rainbowfish need hard water but the one you have does.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back