IAL vs Oak

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm planning a 10 gallon blackwater for a betta. Which leaf should I use? Do the benefits between them differ?
I can collect oak for free, but I would have to sterilize it. IAL is a little expensive for a long term aquarium.

Last edited:
I regularly use oak leaves in some tanks. I have never used IAL so I cannot say if they are more tannin-releasing than oak. I won't spend money on leaves when I can collect them in the back yard every autumn.

I collect oak leaves from the ground (so after they have fallen from the tree, when they are completely dead) and just spread them out on paper towels to dry, then bag them. I have never washed them; don't collect any with bird droppings. Any sort of "sterilization" would kill most of what you want from the leaves. I use mine for display in a couple tanks, and as first food for fry (my pygmy cories grow on this) and continuing food for developing Farlowella.

Oak leaves will tint the water, but I found it takes a lot of them to get this really noticeable. My 10g fry tank with the pygmy cories and Farlowella fry has sometimes been quite amber. I don't notice it much in the other tanks where there are few leaves.

Byron.

I only use IAL as I cant guarantee the quality of oak leaves around here ( pestiside ) 1 medium IAL will stain the water a lot.

That's understandable :) I live in a fairly rural area, so the only danger would be any contaminates from our driveway. I've used IAL before, but only a small pack, not constant addition.
Thanks again! I can't wait to try out this tank. I've been setting aside blackwater tanks due to my family's dislike of them for a long time.

Thanks! I bookmarked the blackwater extract. Maybe I'll use the catappa for blackwater extract, the oak for in tank leaf litter? Not sure... I'll have to see how my wallet is doing after all the tank moving I'm planning. :X

With the right light you hardly notice the tannins.

The only difference between this
Ifpv6wg.jpg

And this.

Is that in the first photo I am only running white light, in the vid I am also running some blue light.

. Maybe I'll use the catappa for blackwater extract, the oak for in tank leaf litter? Not sure... I'll have to see how my wallet is doing

That will work, You can also just add the IAL directly to the tank. Buy your IAL online its cheap

50 LARGE Premium Thai INDIAN ALMOND CATAPPA LEAVES -betta, discus, shrimp, pleco

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back