I think my Cory is Sick.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jecor86

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed that 1 of my Peppered Corydoras was just laying in the sand for an extended period of time, it didn't even move to eat! Normally, they are very active, yesterday evening I noticed it laying on a leaf from my lucky bamboo plant. And he has been there all morning, it may scoot forward or backward but it has stayed there for at least 4 hr today. My other 2 Corys seem fine. Refer to photo. Whats wrong?

Back Story:
I started this 10gal tank 2 weeks ago originally for a Betta that I have had for over a year. At set up, I had a Betta and a Baby Clown Pleco. I noticed the Betta kinda being aggressive to the Pleco, so I moved the Betta to a bare 20gal. I didn't just want the Pleco in the tank by himself so I set out to get a 4-6 Corys, the shop only had 2. So I got those added them to the tank everything is great but it still seemed bare. I also added 4 ghost shrimp, 1 of them died the next day. A couple of days later I went to go get a couple more Corys, I bout 2 more Peppered Corys and 3 Red Tetras. Once I added them to the tank The Tetras adapted well but 1 of the Corys had a rough time, he was much paler than the other 3 and was not moving much at all, he eventually died the next day.
Its been about 3-4 days since I added the 2nd Pair of Corys and the 3 tetras.

So at this point, I have 1 Clown Pleco, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 3 Peppered Corys, 3 Red Tetras in a 10 gal tank running TopFin 10-20 gal filtration.

And yesterday 1 of the remaining Corys started showing signs of sickness. What should I do?

My goal was to plant the 20gal and have all of these fish and the betta live together.
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_0594.JPG

Yesterday I noticed that 1 of my Peppered Corydoras was just laying in the sand for an extended period of time, it didn't even move to eat! Normally, they are very active, yesterday evening I noticed it laying on a leaf from my lucky bamboo plant. And he has been there all morning, it may scoot forward or backward but it has stayed there for at least 4 hr today. My other 2 Corys seem fine. Refer to photo. Whats wrong?

Back Story:
I started this 10gal tank 2 weeks ago originally for a Betta that I have had for over a year. At set up, I had a Betta and a Baby Clown Pleco. I noticed the Betta kinda being aggressive to the Pleco, so I moved the Betta to a bare 20gal. I didn't just want the Pleco in the tank by himself so I set out to get a 4-6 Corys, the shop only had 2. So I got those added them to the tank everything is great but it still seemed bare. I also added 4 ghost shrimp, 1 of them died the next day. A couple of days later I went to go get a couple more Corys, I bout 2 more Peppered Corys and 3 Red Tetras. Once I added them to the tank The Tetras adapted well but 1 of the Corys had a rough time, he was much paler than the other 3 and was not moving much at all, he eventually died the next day.
Its been about 3-4 days since I added the 2nd Pair of Corys and the 3 tetras.

So at this point, I have 1 Clown Pleco, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 3 Peppered Corys, 3 Red Tetras in a 10 gal tank running TopFin 10-20 gal filtration.

And yesterday 1 of the remaining Corys started showing signs of sickness. What should I do?

My goal was to plant the 20gal and have all of these fish and the betta live together.View attachment 86606 View attachment 86607
I can tell you your problem right off the bat, your water parameters are probably chaos. You started a tank only two weeks ago and added way too much livestock before your water cycle was complete. You do not have a mature beneficial bacteria colony that is able to support the bio-load of your current tank. You need to do an immediate 50% water change of treated, warm water. Go out and buy an API freshwater master test kit. It's 30$ at petsmart and you get hundreds of tests. Test your water, write down your numbers, and get back to us pronto. At this point all you can do is damage control, or for the best interest of your fish return or rehome them and start fresh and do a proper cycle. Here is a quick guide I found on google explaining the cycle. If you have questions feel free to ask, there are other members more articulate in this subject than I. http://injaf.org/articles-guides/be...s-cycle-getting-your-aquarium-ready-for-fish/

Thanks you two for responding! I bought the kit and tested the water the readings were:
ph - 7.0-7.2
ammonia - 1.0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
I performed (2) 50% water changes, now the ammonia is .5 ppm.

Should I just continue to do water changes right after another or should I wait an hour or 2 in between?

I can tell you your problem right off the bat, your water parameters are probably chaos. You started a tank only two weeks ago and added way too much livestock before your water cycle was complete. You do not have a mature beneficial bacteria colony that is able to support the bio-load of your current tank. You need to do an immediate 50% water change of treated, warm water. Go out and buy an API freshwater master test kit. It's 30$ at petsmart and you get hundreds of tests. Test your water, write down your numbers, and get back to us pronto. At this point all you can do is damage control, or for the best interest of your fish return or rehome them and start fresh and do a proper cycle. Here is a quick guide I found on google explaining the cycle. If you have questions feel free to ask, there are other members more articulate in this subject than I. http://injaf.org/articles-guides/be...s-cycle-getting-your-aquarium-ready-for-fish/

Thanks you two for responding! I bought the kit and tested the water the readings were:
ph - 7.0-7.2
ammonia - 1.0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
I performed (2) 50% water changes, now the ammonia is .5 ppm.

Should I just continue to do water changes right after another or should I wait an hour or 2 in between?

Hmm,I would say do another Water change and try to get it as close to zero as possible,Then constantly test it to make sure its fine.Like every day or so.

Hmm,I would say do another Water change and try to get it as close to zero as possible, Then constantly test it to make sure its fine.Like every day or so.

Thanks, I completed another 50% water change about an hr ago, and I just tested it again. Now the ammonia is reading .25, I will do another change a little later and continue monitoring. Thanks a lot, I lost the sick Cory, but everything else looks great.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back