I think my Betta has ick?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phil Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I rescued a sick Betta named Syd on Monday. He's got a very bad case of fin rot right down to the spines and a white dot on his head which appears to be falling off. Right now he is in 1 gallon recovery jar with clean water and almond leaf. I have raised the temperature of his jar to 85 degrees and kept it at 80 degrees for a couple of days and changing the water daily. Today I notice the tips of his fin spines are white. I can see it with a magnifying glass. Is this more ick spreading? Besides high water temperature what other treatments do you recommend?

Thanks!

Can you post a picture of the fish?

Whitespot does not normally appear on the fin rays, which are white but normally covered in skin.
Without a pic I am guessing and saying the skin on the fins has been eaten away by poor water quality or bacteria and that has left the white fin rays behind.

Is the damaged fins worse than when you got him or staying the same?

If there is any red areas around the damaged fins, then it has a bacterial infection that needs treating with Methylene Blue or any commercial aquarium fish remedy that treats fungal and bacterial infections in fish.
Do not use anti-biotics because they are not normally necessary for this issue.

-------------------
If you want to treat whitespot with heat, you warm the tank water up to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. You can also move the fish into a clean container of water each day for 2 weeks and that will get rid of whitespot too.

Unfortunately I don't have a good camera. However the white things on the end of his his tail fin spines appear to be flaking off as well. It's like they are long white streamers. There is a slight white patch on the bottom of his tail fin on one side. I don't see redness. The white thing on his head also looks like it's pealing off. He doesn't rub on anything in his tank either.

Other than these issues he's still pretty frisky and eating.fine. I have no problems with keeping his jar warm. If I do 50% water changes daily for two weeks will that help.?

yes a 50%+ water change done each day will help for most things. However, you should continue to monitor the fins and if they get worse over the next few days he will need treating with a broad spectrum medication.

yes a 50%+ water change done each day will help for most things. However, you should continue to monitor the fins and if they get worse over the next few days he will need treating with a broad spectrum medication.

OK so the white thing on his head came off! I am wondering if the white stuff on his fins might be regrowth?

Doing some research has lead me to think it might actually be new tissue forming. I did manage to shoot a quick video of Syd. Of course the first thing he does is have a conversation with his thermometer...ha ha. All my fish hate this kind of thermometer. I know the video is not the best but at least it gives an idea of his condition.

So I rescued a sick Betta named Syd on Monday. He's got a very bad case of fin rot right down to the spines and a white dot on his head which appears to be falling off. Right now he is in 1 gallon recovery jar with clean water and almond leaf. I have raised the temperature of his jar to 85 degrees and kept it at 80 degrees for a couple of days and changing the water daily. Today I notice the tips of his fin spines are white. I can see it with a magnifying glass. Is this more ick spreading? Besides high water temperature what other treatments do you recommend?

Thanks!
How is Syd doing today

Lots of clean water and as he is in a hospital tank add 1 tsp ( Tea spoon )of aquarium salt per gallon of water.

How is Syd doing today

He's doing great! He is right next to me in his hospital jar and quite content. The white spot on his head came off and I think his fins are growing! He's active, swimming and eating and already recognises me as "the food guy" . I am wondering now if maybe he didn't have ick since I see no other spots on him and his colour is fine. Next weekend he'll be going into a new 2.5 gallon aquarium with a filter. :)

Next weekend he'll be going into a new 2.5 gallon aquarium with a filter.

With live plants?

He's doing great! He is right next to me in his hospital jar and quite content. The white spot on his head came off and I think his fins are growing! He's active, swimming and eating and already recognises me as "the food guy" . I am wondering now if maybe he didn't have ick since I see no other spots on him and his colour is fine. Next weekend he'll be going into a new 2.5 gallon aquarium with a filter. :)

Yay I’m so glad to hear that !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay I’m so glad to hear that !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I am glad I rescued him since he was in bad shape no one probably would've taken a chance on him. Now with me he has a better home. :)

Ok so after doing more research I think Syd is recovering from a fungus and not "Ick" after all. His condition of having a white fuzzy thing on his head (it's gone) and fins point to a possible fungus. So far though the white fuzzy stringy stuff on his fins is going away and he's eating and not lethargic.This morning the pellet barely hit the water before he gobbled it up...lol

Apparently keeping his water clean and at a moderate temperature and not too warm is the treatment. He spent a week with Indian Almond leaves in his hospital jar and that has helped. I am not sure if his fins will ever grow back but if he recovers completely from the fungus I will be happy.

Hi fins will grow back.

Apparently keeping his water clean and at a moderate temperature and not too warm is the treatment. He spent a week with Indian Almond leaves in his hospital jar and that has helped. I am not sure if his fins will ever grow back but if he recovers completely from the fungus I will be happy.
Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality so water changes and a nice clean environment will help prevent diseases and help sick fish heal faster.

His fins should grow back over the next month.

Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality so water changes and a nice clean environment will help prevent diseases and help sick fish heal faster.

His fins should grow back over the next month.

Yes I have been changing 50% of his water every morning since I got him. I have also been using Prime conditioner in his water too.
It's nice to know his fins will grow back. He's got such a little personality now and starting to flare at my index finger and trying to attack it when I show him it. He's a little tough guy. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back