I Think I Made A Mistake... :/

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

petrastetra

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello TFF,
So I have a 5-gallon tank set.  I knew a little about the cycling process before but now with all the disasters it seems like I've had to do a whole lot more research.  So I was reading that you can set your tank up plug in the filter and let it sit for a day and let the fish acclimate to the water temperature.  But boy, there's a lot more to it.  I got two Dalmatian Lyretail Mollies they're so beautiful and I love watching them eat and swim.  I fed them some fish flakes (probably a regular dosage not thinking about the ammonia caused by the decomposing fish flakes).  So anyway this morning I was severely disheartened to see one fish had died.  I went to the petstore frantic wondering what I could've possible done wrong.  The lady there was very helpful she recommended a concentrated bacteria solution that would start working instantly.  After the first fish died I did a 50% water change.  I put in a few things like air pump, heater w/ thermometer, and of course the bacteria solution (Tetra safe start I believe).  I know within 30 days I can get a new fish at no extra charge so I'm not worried about that because the tank will be cycled enough probably by then considering it's so small.  I'm worried about the fish still alive.  I got my water tested today at the pet store the man working told me everything looked good the ammonia was pretty low 0.1-0.3 ppm.  I'm afraid the water conditions are only this way because between putting the new items in and testing the water I did another 25% water change because I noticed she seemed lethargic and would sit on the floor of the tank just moving her gills. This worried me because sometimes she would jolt out of it and swim around again normally.  Once I did the 25% water change she mostly stuck near the top not gasping for air, but just below the waterline just swimming in place, I think that this though was temperature variation because after testing the water she was moving around fine.  The man at the pet store after testing my water said to leave it alone for 24 hours.  The water gets really cloudy and I know this is bacteria booming.  I'm just conflicted of what to do with her.  Leave her in the tank and wait it out until the water is clear but I'm worried she may die this way, or return her to the pet store so she has a safe cycled tank to stay in until my tank is done cycling.  I 'd like to avoid returning because I've gotten quite attached, I cried a lot when I had to flush the other one.  Ultimately I want to do what's best for the fish though.  I'm just sorry to see her go if I have to.  Is there anyway I could keep her in the tank and still have my water be at appropriate levels?  I'm feeding her now bare minimum so as to avoid overing the ammonia.  As I said the petstore guy said be patient and wait, but would water changes not be better for the fish? I need a little help.  The filter bag has already developed some bacteria and I bought bio-balls to help grow more.  I just don't want another fish to die. Please help! 

I got two Dalmatian Lyretail Mollies
IMO a 5 gallon is too small for Mollies.

I'm worried about the fish still alive.
I would take the fish back to the store ASAP. Like straight away.

I would agree with Nick, that a 5 gallon is too small for mollies. In all honesty, it's a bit too small for most species of fish. You could have a lovely shrimp tank with a 5 gallon.

Micro fish might be an option.
Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Chili Rasbora
Galaxy Rasboras
Scarlet Badis
Dwarf Zebra Hovering Loaches

Yeah, best thing to do for the moment is get the fish back to the shop then we can help you get your tank off to a safe and healthy start

Can I ask if you cycled the tank before adding fish?

If yore not sure what I mean by cycled, have a read of this  - Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank

I suspect this would be the cause, as the symptoms fit with amonia or nitrite poisoning.

Regardless the tank size, the cycle process will not be much quicker but still take some time to cycle fully.

Ch4rlie said:
Can I ask if you cycled the tank before adding fish?

If yore not sure what I mean by cycled, have a read of this  - Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank

I suspect this would be the cause, as the symptoms fit with amonia or nitrite poisoning.

Regardless the tank size, the cycle process will not be much quicker but still take some time to cycle fully.
I knew a little about cycling and this website I was using said to set it up with water filter and conditioner and wait like a day and a half.  So I'm pretty assured that this wasn't enough time to properly cycle.  But once I put in the bacteria concentrate I noticed the filter was brown with its growth of bacteria.  My Molly is very active today and the water is clearer than before. I bought bio-balls to get more surface area for the bacteria.  Since putting in the fish I have done a lot more research on the nitrogen cycle and cycling. I'm hoping the process was expedited because of the bacteria and it's almost done cycling.  I know the tank is a bit small for mollies but I'm not going to return her for that reason because I didn't know they needed a lot of space at the time.  The only time I'll consider returning the fish is if she's in danger and at this moment she doesn't seem to be.  If I see the old symptoms or the water gets too cloudy,  I might do another small water change.  I'm going to petco daily to get my water tested because I don't have the money to buy the strips yet.

The first guy at the petstore had no idea what he was talking about so when I told him I had a 5-gallon tank he should've directed to me to proper fish.  I know I should know a bit about the fish too, but I'm a beginner I don't really know much about which fish goes in which tank.  I told the guy I liked the look of x, y, z fish and he was like alright just pick one.  He gave me like no info on care and everything.  I know 5 gallons is a little too small but I'm going to keep the one I have left and for getting more or introducing more I'll probably just get small things snails, shrimps, maybe a catfish to eat all the decomposing food. The helpful lady pointed out a species that doesn't grow too big.

Well, some LFS staff are like that :/

The one person who is responsible to know what should go in a 5 gallon tank or any sized tank you have, is you.

Research and asking experienced members is key, once you start to learn about fishkeeping the more interesting it becomes, this is a hobby where research knows no bounds :)

Well my point is/was I'm going to keep the one Molly I have.  The water is about 85% clear.  I'm feeling very hopeful and my fish is swimming around and she looks good she likes going to the surface and popping the bubbles at the surface from my airpump before they pop by themselves.  She only really stays on the bottom to poop and to eat some algae.  I had a problem with white foamy bubbles on the edges this morning, but thought that maybe the water level was too low for the feed to hit the bubbles from the air pump and the excess bubbles collected on the sides. I read this online and I realized that my water level was low so I added some water and that problem was taken care of. I'm feeling good I'll go to petco again to have them test the water and write down the measurements. I'm going to buy an LED volcano that has a built in bubble stone tomorrow.  I can't wait to get my live plants, volcano and bioballs in the water.

Bad news I was doing a water change and tripped the tank is busted.  I have to get a new one but, I'm waiting for an e-deposit. D:  I'm so upset.  My suitemate offered to pay for half but now i feel so guilty.

petrastetra said:
Bad news I was doing a water change and tripped the tank is busted.  I have to get a new one but, I'm waiting for an e-deposit. D:  I'm so upset.  My suitemate offered to pay for half but now i feel so guilty.
Sorry to hear this. Are you okay? Were you able to save the molly?

If so, I would return it to your LFS. I know you don't want to but it would be the best choice so you can get an appropriate sized tank and do a fish-less cycle.
I believe I read you were going to get test strips, these are very inaccurate. It would be better to save up and get a liquid test kit. They're a bit pricey but last a long time
smile.png

And if your molly didn't make it, I'm really sorry 
cry1.gif

Sorry about your tank mate. Is the Molly okay? If you wanted to keep her it would be best for your new tank to be at least 20 gallons.

The Molly is fine (she wasn't in the tank when it dropped thank god!) I went to the pet store and told the guy what happened he gave me a pet keeper for free.  (Although it has a crack so I'm sure that's why he was like take this.) It's super small so I feel bad for her but it'll work for three or four days.  I'm buying a new one Tuesday, unfortunately my university allows 10 gallon max.  So 20 gallon would be hard to hide for inspections.

When I tried taking it to the pet store, he gave me the fish keeper.  I was hoping he'd just put it in the tank in the store because it's a lot more work this way. I found a liquid test kit on amazon for $20 next time I get paid I'll invest in it. Should I walk down to the petstore again and ask to return the fish because I brought her down yesterday and he seemed all about quick fix giving me this fish keeper rather than taking it back.

Were you like me and didn't use water declorinator? I killed 3 fish not using it :( if u didn't u might want to buy a bottle
Also if you want a fish that looks like a Mollie get a platy IMHO they do fine in a 10 gallon and they looks somewhat like mollies

Most reactions

Back