I need some help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Spen2cer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
upload_2018-6-21_15-4-1.jpeg

I am soon getting a yellow mystery snail and flame gourami. I need some help with some decorations. I didnā€™t feel comfortable putting in a gourami with this setup. I am getting a heater soon, and going to regulate the temperature. So far, ph is good. The water is clear, but my yellow lights make it look green. In person, it is clear.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-21_15-3-53.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-21_15-3-53.jpeg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 208
I see no problems there, I quite like that. I would however suggest adding floating plants. Gourami come from still moving waters thick with vegetation and they will be much more relaxed with a "roof" over them. In an aquarium, floating plants can achieve this very well. Water Sprite would be ideal, but Water Lettuce also works. Some of the stem plants left floating work well too, Pennywort is one that is good for this.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Cool. Should I just get one, and which one. Water sprite?

Cool. Should I just get one, and which one. Water sprite?

Water Sprite is "the" best floating plant, if you can find it. I have this in several tanks, from the one plant I bought back in 1996. Daughter plants will appear on alternate fronds (being a true fern the "leaves" are fronds). It grows rapidly, but is a beautiful plant. Fish love browsing the dangling roots for food, some spawn in it.

I see no problems there, I quite like that. I would however suggest adding floating plants. Gourami come from still moving waters thick with vegetation and they will be much more relaxed with a "roof" over them. In an aquarium, floating plants can achieve this very well. Water Sprite would be ideal, but Water Lettuce also works. Some of the stem plants left floating work well too, Pennywort is one that is good for this.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:
Will they have any problems breathing with the ā€œroofā€, or not? As a labyrinth, I didnā€™t know of they could still get their air. Which plant should I get?

Water Sprite is "the" best floating plant, if you can find it. I have this in several tanks, from the one plant I bought back in 1996. Daughter plants will appear on alternate fronds (being a true fern the "leaves" are fronds). It grows rapidly, but is a beautiful plant. Fish love browsing the dangling roots for food, some spawn in it.
Perfect

Do not get a flame dwarf gourami or any other colour variety of dwarf gourami (Trichogaster lalius). They are riddled with diseases and normally die within 6 months of getting them.

If you want a small gourami look at Honey Dwarf gouramis, Sparkling gouramis, Indian Banded gouramis or Licorice gouramis.

------------------------
If the lights look yellow then they have a low Kelvin (K) rating (less than 4000K). You can add some blue light (not ultra violet) to make it look clear or get a daylight globe with a 6500K rating.

Last edited:
You could add a dark background on the back and the side against the wall. Just use a sheet of card on the outside of the tank. The fish will feel more secure and it will look more dramatic.

I agree with suggestions in posts 8 and 9. I missed both previously, sorry. If you want a similar sized gourami, the Honey is ideal, and you could have a trio (one male, two females, always this ratio [or more females] with gourami when more than one).

And a plain black background will really do wonders to make the space seem larger and show off the fish and plants and dƩcor.

Water Sprite can be kept minimal easily enough by removing larger plants during the water change and dislodging the smaller daughter plants to grow.

I agree with suggestions in posts 8 and 9. I missed both previously, sorry. If you want a similar sized gourami, the Honey is ideal, and you could have a trio (one male, two females, always this ratio [or more females] with gourami when more than one).

And a plain black background will really do wonders to make the space seem larger and show off the fish and plants and dƩcor.

Water Sprite can be kept minimal easily enough by removing larger plants during the water change and dislodging the smaller daughter plants to grow.
Perfect. I am thinking of ordering them online, since they arenā€™t sold in pet stores here. The place I am buying from has a live fish guarantee, so it should all work out. I am also getting some water sprite

Perfect. I am thinking of ordering them online, since they arenā€™t sold in pet stores here. The place I am buying from has a live fish guarantee, so it should all work out. I am also getting some water sprite
I put a blue background in, since I had it, and waiting on a black one

I put a blue background in, since I had it, and waiting on a black one

I just see I didn't mention previously that black construction paper taped to the outside of the back glass works very well. I use this on all my tanks except the two 4-foot ones. You can get this at hobby craft stores in largish sheets and just cut and tape it. The lack of any shiny surface means you will hardly notice the back wall at all, hence it expands the space. And fish do like this as it helps them settle.

I just see I didn't mention previously that black construction paper taped to the outside of the back glass works very well. I use this on all my tanks except the two 4-foot ones. You can get this at hobby craft stores in largish sheets and just cut and tape it. The lack of any shiny surface means you will hardly notice the back wall at all, hence it expands the space. And fish do like this as it helps them settle.
That was what I was going to do anyways. Any suggestions for a cheap lid? I canā€™t seem to find one that will work with an over the back filter

I just donā€™t want them to hop out and then have to deal with a fish on the ground

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back