I need help with my betta.

J CZA

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got a second betta, he is in a 10 gal and the tank is well set up. But my betta is often hiding under my bridge prop. He (unlike my other betta) isnt used to feeding, and I often have to wait for him to go get air so I can feed him and I never see him eat. There is no tank mates in his tank, only a mystery snail. He is often hiding and gets spooked easily. I don't know if he is stressed or just dumb. Should I move him to a small container to feed him?

Just leave him in his tank. The more you move him about the more you stress him.

Have you checked the water quality for ammonia, nitrite and temperature? if yes, what were the results?

Do you have any floating plants in the tank?
Bettas normally hide among plants just under the surface of the water. If there are no floating plants he will be stressed and hiding under the bridge ornament instead. The best floating plant for them is Water Sprite (Ceratopteris species).

If you don't want any real floating plants then use a plastic plant and let it float around. However, the real plants are better for the fish.

If the fish is new, eg: you have only had him for a day or so, give him a few days to settle into his new home.

Can you post a photo of the tank?
Is the tank cycled?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?

Can you post a photo of the tank?
Is the tank cycled?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
The tank has a filter with a verry slow cutrent.

Just leave him in his tank. The more you move him about the more you stress him.

Have you checked the water quality for ammonia, nitrite and temperature? if yes, what were the results?

Do you have any floating plants in the tank?
Bettas normally hide among plants just under the surface of the water. If there are no floating plants he will be stressed and hiding under the bridge ornament instead. The best floating plant for them is Water Sprite (Ceratopteris species).

If you don't want any real floating plants then use a plastic plant and let it float around. However, the real plants are better for the fish.

If the fish is new, eg: you have only had him for a day or so, give him a few days to settle into his new home.
I had him for 3 days, im concerned about him not eating. I want to have some plants in his tank, im getting a moas ball today and I dont know about other plants. A floating plant would be good for him. How can I get him to eat, I dont think he notices the food and he dosent really go after food.

Have you tested for ammonia and nitrite? I am assuming not as the question has already been asked 3 times. The results of these tests are far more important than whether or not he eats (until we know the answer) and may even provide the answer.

If you don't have a test kit you should do a daily water change of around 75% until you are able to get a test kit. Anything he doesn't eat should also be removed from the tank.

Have you tested for ammonia and nitrite? I am assuming not as the question has already been asked 3 times. The results of these tests are far more important than whether or not he eats (until we know the answer) and may even provide the answer.

If you don't have a test kit you should do a daily water change of around 75% until you are able to get a test kit. Anything he doesn't eat should also be removed from the tank.
I have been removing uneaten food from his tank. I have a test kit but it got water on it. Im going up to the pet store and I can pick one up.

Don't worry too much about him starving to death. Fish don't eat to keep warm because they get their body temperature from the surrounding environment (water). The food they do eat is used for movement and growing.

Get some Water Sprite (Ceratopteris species) and use that in the tank. It is the best floating plant for Bettas and does well in most tanks. It does not need anything special besides a bit of light and water.

You can get live Brineshrimp from most petshops. Buy a small bag of that and put it in a bowl and keep it in the fridge. Use a spoon to scoop a few out and add them to the tank. If he doesn't eat them he is really unhappy.

You can also feed him mozzie larvae and aphids from roses in the garden. Small moths and flies are also taken, just make sure they have no bug spray or chemicals on them.

Don't worry too much about him starving to death. Fish don't eat to keep warm because they get their body temperature from the surrounding environment (water). The food they do eat is used for movement and growing.

Get some Water Sprite (Ceratopteris species) and use that in the tank. It is the best floating plant for Bettas and does well in most tanks. It does not need anything special besides a bit of light and water.

You can get live Brineshrimp from most petshops. Buy a small bag of that and put it in a bowl and keep it in the fridge. Use a spoon to scoop a few out and add them to the tank. If he doesn't eat them he is really unhappy.

You can also feed him mozzie larvae and aphids from roses in the garden. Small moths and flies are also taken, just make sure they have no bug spray or chemicals on them.
Thanks, I'll look into the plant.

Moss balls are great, I have them in all of my tanks. They are impossible to kill lol. As a bit of a betta addict I've noticed over the years that bettas really do love to have tank decor that is a similar color as them. Probably provides a sense of safety. Try getting some red silk plants, and when your due to do a water change try replacing the white gravel with natural gravel (i.e. more browns and reds in it). Also mini terra cotta pots make great hides for bettas. But yea I notice a huge difference in how shy or active mine are just by making the decor a like color.

Moss balls are great, I have them in all of my tanks. They are impossible to kill lol. As a bit o89f a betta addict I've noticed over the years that bettas really do love to have tank decor that is a similar color as them. Probably provides a sense of safety. Try getting some red silk plants, and when your due to do a water change try replacing the white gravel with natural gravel (i.e. more browns and reds in it). Also mini terra cotta pots make great hides for bettas. But yea I notice a huge difference in how shy or active mine are just by making the decor a like color.
Yea, I have a moss ball in with my other betta, and he dosent do anything with it. I was wondering if I could move the moss ball to the other tank (while cleaning it) I have more brown gravel I can add. And I just got a redish pink silk plant. He seems to be out from under the bridge but is still really skiddish.

I got a test stripe and they are all in the safe colors.

Bettas are surface dwelling fish they do not need or want mini Terra cotta pots to hide in, What they want and need is lots of live plants including floating ones, when it comes to Bettas and plants there is no such thing as too many plants.

This is what a Betta needs.
CJDjCcn.jpg

Instead of silk plants try some Annubias Blue Stricta Crypts, for floating plants Water sprite is perfect

Get him a floating log
F5xHC56.jpg

I got a test stripe and they are all in the safe colors.

Safe? can you please provide the numbers.

Bettas are surface dwelling fish they do not need or want mini Terra cotta pots to hide in, What they want and need is lots of live plants including floating ones, when it comes to Bettas and plants there is no such thing as too many plants.

This is what a Betta needs.
CJDjCcn.jpg

Instead of silk plants try some Annubias Blue Stricta Crypts, for floating plants Water sprite is perfect

Get him a floating log
F5xHC56.jpg

Safe? can you please provide the numbers.
No3 0
No2 0
pH 8.0
KH 180
GH 180
The color chart marked these numbers as"ideal."
And for the live plants, I was at petsmart and they didnt have much. I am always looking for the floating log in that store and they never have it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back