I need help with a fish that isn't eating

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mattkat1414

Reaction score
I just got 5 new livebearers 8 days ago, and they have all been doing fine except for one of them. He doesn't have any illness at all (he's as active as the other fish, just slower because he hasn't eaten) but he won't eat anything I give him. He's a balloon molly, if that means anything. I've tried giving him vipagran pellets and freeze dried blood worms, but he spits it out the second he tried to swallow it. I have also tried crushing up the food to a smaller size, and he still wont eat swallow it. The odd thing is that he ate the first day right after I got him, but never after that. The tank parameters are perfect. Does anybody know what I should do?

I just got 5 new livebearers 8 days ago, and they have all been doing fine except for one of them. He doesn't have any illness at all (he's as active as the other fish, just slower because he hasn't eaten) but he won't eat anything I give him. He's a balloon molly, if that means anything. I've tried giving him vipagran pellets and freeze dried blood worms, but he spits it out the second he tried to swallow it. I have also tried crushing up the food to a smaller size, and he still wont eat swallow it. The odd thing is that he ate the first day right after I got him, but never after that. The tank parameters are perfect. Does anybody know what I should do?
If you've been feeding your fish bloodworms you do know that they can cause constipation if overfed? The bloodworms are freeze dried? If so you MUST soak them in tank water before a feeding or they will clog up your fish. If your molly is showing interest in food but not eating the blood worms its perhaps the way you feed them/what you are feeding. My betta refuses to eat bloodworms or pellets that have not been soaked and made soft. Mollies are omnivores, meaning they have a meat and plant based diet. Have you tried a good quality of flake food? Flake foods should have fish meal or plants as the first ingredients listed on the label. Beware foods that have wheat, wheat germ, or wheat flour listed as the main ingredients as these are low quality foods with unnatural fillers that wont benefit the fish. I personally prefer Aqueon tropical flake food for my community tank/ Blood worms are a treat but don't have much nutritional value on their own, so having a variety of foods is best.

You could also try soaking the portion of food in a bit of garlic oil, this can sometimes stimulate their appetite and encourage them to start eating. Just make sure you aren't feeding too much!

I would feed them New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula.

Mollies also love blanched vegetables zucchini medallions, cucumber medallions and shelled peas. You should also give them a spirulina based pellet or flake. They also love live blackworms, bloodworms, daphnia and brine shrimp.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you've been feeding your fish bloodworms you do know that they can cause constipation if overfed? The bloodworms are freeze dried? If so you MUST soak them in tank water before a feeding or they will clog up your fish. If your molly is showing interest in food but not eating the blood worms its perhaps the way you feed them/what you are feeding. My betta refuses to eat bloodworms or pellets that have not been soaked and made soft. Mollies are omnivores, meaning they have a meat and plant based diet. Have you tried a good quality of flake food? Flake foods should have fish meal or plants as the first ingredients listed on the label. Beware foods that have wheat, wheat germ, or wheat flour listed as the main ingredients as these are low quality foods with unnatural fillers that wont benefit the fish. I personally prefer Aqueon tropical flake food for my community tank/ Blood worms are a treat but don't have much nutritional value on their own, so having a variety of foods is best.

You could also try soaking the portion of food in a bit of garlic oil, this can sometimes stimulate their appetite and encourage them to start eating. Just make sure you aren't feeding too much!

I have soaked them in water, and the fish finally ate 2 pellets yesterday, so thanks for helping. What food should I feed him now that I know there's better food?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back