Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I need Advice please

Discussion in 'Member's Aquarium and Fish Pictures' started by Amy Dermody, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

If you put the fish into the new 20 gallon tank you should move the filter media across too so it will help keep the water cleaner. Unfortunately if you do move the filter media across it will transfer the algae across too.

It also depends on how long the filter was turned off when you first moved the old tank. If the filter was off for more than a couple of hours most of the bacteria is probably dead and you might as well start the 20 gallon with new filter media.

If you do use new filter media in the 20 gallon, then pick up a bottle of liquid filter bacteria from the pet shop. There are several brands available and the directions say to add them once a week or whatever, and they help get the filter going faster. I recommend double dosing them each day for the first week fish are in the tank then don't bother using it after that. If there's only a little bit left after the week of daily double dosing then you can pour the last bit in the tank to get rid of it.

Try to add the filter bacteria supplement to the tank near the filter intake.

-------------------------
    When you get test kits, get liquid test kits rather than dry paper strip kits. Check the expiry date on the packet. Keep the test kit cool and dry, I kept mine in a plastic icecream bucket with lid in the bottom of the fridge.
    *NB* Make sure children and animals can't get the test kits because they have toxic chemicals in them.

If you decide to keep the pink widow tetra, then you can get another tank for it later on and add 10 more of them so there is a nice group of them. In the mean time just keep all the fish together until the 20 gallon settles down,:)

2. seangee

seangee Member

If you do decide to stick with widow tetra get the plain black or white versions. The pink colour is dye that got there by injecting it into the fish. It will fade in time but the process is very stressful for fish.

3. Amy Dermody

Amy Dermody New Member

Thanks so much!! I'm at the store now thanks for informing me about the liquid test kit before I have the strips in my hand now lol so I will be putting them back and looking for the liquid!! I notice that the staff isn't much help here so I'm very grateful for your help!!

4. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

I'm pretty sure the fish the OP has are not the painted version but the GM version by Glofish
    https://shop.glofish.com/products/glofish-tetra-package

These are genetically modified fish containing jellyfish genes to make them glow in the dark. The OP can check this by looking at the fish at night with the tank light off and seeing if the fish glow.

5. Amy Dermody

Amy Dermody New Member

Wow thank you !!

6. Amy Dermody

Amy Dermody New Member

I will be sure to check it tonight!! Thanks

7. Amy Dermody

Amy Dermody New Member

I'm just hoping I can pull this off and all the fish Survive!! I'm getting Attach to them quickly. I know that sounds silly but I'm just an all around animal lover

8. Amy Dermody

Amy Dermody New Member

I was just informed by the fish department guy that if my wagtail fish is pregnant that there is no need to prepare for babies. Because she will probably have them at night and by morning the mother and the other fish will eat them and the chance of any surviving are very slim. Is that true and if so what could I do to prevent it. And when I ask this question to the pet store employee he basically told me not to bother because I was not skilled enough.

9. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

You will be fine, just keep the feeding down and do big water changes.

The biggest killer of aquarium fish is too much food and a filter that isn't established. Big regular water changes (done daily if necessary) will help keep the fish healthy while the filter establishes. :)

Livebearers (your platy) can give birth any time during the day or night.

The best thing to do is have lots of plants in the tank (floating plants with long roots like Water Sprite and other plants growing in the gravel). The baby fish (called fry) will automatically head for the plants when born and are quite good at hiding from other fish.

You can buy a breeding net that is basically a plastic frame with a fine mesh net around it. The breeding net hangs on the edge of the tank but inside the tank and the fry can be caught with a small plastic container and transferred into the breeding net. You can put a small plant in the breeding net too and the fry will hang out there.

The fry eat small foods and you can buy some baby fish food for livebearers if you like or just crumble up some normal fish flakes that are fed to the adults. You take a couple of flakes and crush them up into a powder and sprinkle them on the surface for the fry to eat.

#24 Colin_T, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  10. Amy Dermody

Amy Dermody New Member

That's great!! Thanks so much.