I love fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The pictus catfish is an active fish, that requires a tank that can provide them with a large swimming area. At the bare minimum, they should be provided with at least a 45 gallon (205 liters) aquarium, though larger tanks are preferable. With that being said, even a 45 gallon (205 liter) aquarium can accommodate several pictus catfish, since this species is non-territorial and a handful can co-exist peacefully if given sufficient space.

Any tank containing pictus catfish should be dimly lit, or at the very least have a very heavy aquatic plant canopy to dim the bottom of the tank. This fish will stay in hiding for much of the day if they are kept in an overly bright tank, but will be relatively active in a dimly lit aquarium. Their aquarium should also contain numerous hiding places, and if at all possible, the hiding places should allow enough room for the fish to turn around inside. Claypots on their side make excellent hiding places for pictus catfish.

Pictus catfish generally do best when kept in a riverine biope aquarium, and plants, driftwood and river rocks can be added to simulate a river in their tank. Because of their low light requirements, you can add Java moss, moss balls, hornwort or any other low light plant that is available in your area.

When choosing a filter for a pictus catfish tank, it’s best to over filter the aquarium and provide a strong flow of current to their tank. One of the best choices for this is a hang on back filter, since it provides excellent filtration and a decent amount of flow to a tank. It’s very important that you keep to a regular cleaning schedule in their tank, since pictus catfish are very sensitive to nitrates. It might be best to pair a hang on back filter with a sponge filter, just to ensure maximum filtration for the tank.
you are aware pictus get huge right?
View attachment 83811
Why would you keep these with bettas? They require different environments completely

Minimum Tank Size: 45 Gallons (205 Liters)
Care Level: Moderately Hard
Water Conditions: 5.5-7.0 pH and Soft Water
Temperature: 72-77 °F (22-25 °C)
Maximum Size: 5 inches (20 cm)

That was the first fish I bought with a buddy beautiful fish, the were happy in the 55 gallon but. Picky eaters, they did not like bloodworms nor the drive shrimp or anything else the only thing they wanted was the flakes and since they were so shy they wouldn't come out to eat and when I saw them halfway mid tank swimming in circles I knew something was wrong and I took them out and put them in a 10 gallon and fed them and still one of them died but the other one is doing fine he keeps his cave clean that out and he needs to flakes I make sure I put them or the filter pushes the flakes in his cave and he eats them but I am sure he is lonely I will figure something out maybe the pet store will trade me and different fish but even in the pet store they're not happy

If you pay the pet store that torments fish, you are only supporting that movement to harm the fish...

You mentioned pictus are non-territorial but mine was because they wouldn't let each other and each other's cave
If you pay the pet store that torments fish, you are only supporting that movement to harm the fish...
So where do people buy fish if not at the fish store?

You mentioned pictus are non-territorial but mine was because they wouldn't let each other and each other's cave

And yes I agree it is a horrible place to see these fish crammed in tanks with ick, dropsy and who knows what else floating on top dead. I would love to put the pitcus back in the 55 gallon but he would starve himself and my weather loaches would disturb him. The Pitcus is the only fish I did not research. Only after I bought him to see which fish he would be best tank mates with.

Last edited:

online from a healthy good quality fish breeder...

how about a place that sells sand that don't cost an arm and a leg

Play Sand is ideal for the substrate. I use Quikrete Play Sand, available from home improvement or landscape outlets like Home Depot and Lowe's in NA. It is very smooth so no fish issues, and plants grow well in it, and it looks natural. For the dimensions given, one bag could work (depends upon the plant species to be planted in the substrate, if any), but it is so cheap I would get two to have spare. Always nice down the road to be able to add a bit of sand here or there.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back