I Have Found Black Baby Fish In My Pond

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rick newton

Reaction score
I have a pond and found about 100-150 small black fish. i dony have any black fish in the pond just goldfish,ghost carp and about 6 Koi. They are all swimming around on top when the sun is out then they all dive down into the plants. I have a few questions to anybody who can help ..... What are they as i have no black fish ?..... Will the other fish eat them as i am seing less and less of them.... how can i stop the others from eating them if thats whats happening

I hope some can help

Rick :rolleyes:

if you have goldfish in the pond they may have spawned i have noticed many of my young goldfish start off black/silver
scot :)

Most baby goldfish/koi are black, or dark brown, appearing black in pond, they dont start to change colour untill they are a little older/bigger. So they will just be the babies from your fish you already have!

And yes, the bigger fish will eat them, the only way you can save them is by taking them about and putting them in a separate pond/ tank, if you have the space, and then put them back in pond when they are big enough to not get eaten.

Most baby goldfish/koi are black, or dark brown, appearing black in pond, they dont start to change colour untill they are a little older/bigger. So they will just be the babies from your fish you already have!

And yes, the bigger fish will eat them, the only way you can save them is by taking them about and putting them in a separate pond/ tank, if you have the space, and then put them back in pond when they are big enough to not get eaten.
The bigger fish seem to be surrounding the plants and weeds they hide in...so i better take them out i dont have a second pond will a tank or poly transport box be ok?

You can either take them out and try to save them or leave well alone. If you have planted areas, and / or rocks with nooks and crannies for them to hide in the baby fish will do a great job of surviving, (those that try hard enough anyway!). they are excellent at hiding, hence why they are born the dark colour, it would be suicidal to be born their size and be bright orange :)
I used to have fry in my old pond, and then tended to swim behind and between the planters and I had several grow to be decent fish. Yes, you will likely get less 'fish' than if you net them all out and care for them elsewhere, but if you leave them in and let natural selection take it's course you will likely only end up with the stronger fish, which is not neccasarily a bad thing.

At one point a Heron actually helped my fry to survive too, it popped down one day for a spot of lunch and cleared all the adults out of the pond whilst I was at work, but the fry were either smart enough to hide, or else the Heron couldn't be bothered with them. Was I glad of the fry then!
Herons :angry:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back