I have a wierd bug

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dahumbug

Reaction score
I decided to make a small eco system and after about a week, a large bug was visable. I would like to know if this bug will harm my snails or will just grow into a fly.

Many thanks, Boz
855c6f912b9bc6156405a894d26961f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I know that caddis fly larvae build tubes out of bits if stone etc. The best thing to do is google caddis flies and see if you can ID your bug.

Whatever it turns out to be, I would remove it and relocate it somewhere away from your fish.

Thank you for the reply!
I have considered your thoughts and I will relocate it to a little tin and watch it grow!

You'll need to feed it, but I have no idea what these things eat. I just recognised it from zoology fieldwork many years ago.

From what I have gathered, I believe that is a Fiebers Giant Water bug. A type of freshwater Hermipteran insect.
Which are most commonly found in South Africa, and as a popular snack in Southeast Asia. They stalk their prey which are small fish, snails, and small crustaceans.
They can get pretty big too, with the largest being around 4 inches.
I would suggest re-homing into another tank.

That sounds pretty nasty :eek:

dahumbug, which country are you in? That will help in finding out what the creature is.

That sounds pretty nasty :eek:

dahumbug, which country are you in? That will help in finding out what the creature is.
I'm in the UK and now I am quite scared of this thing.
I will try to re home it.
Does any one know what they will feed on?

This is a video of it moving. Sorry for the background noise.
20171024_092846.jpg

It is a caddisfly larvae. I found this online.
I don't think it it harm full to my snails.
317f8238551428f3e7ac3cfbc7dd35dd.jpg

You beat me to it :)

I was about to say that in the UK it is most likely to be a caddis fly larva. I couldn't find any images of Fiebers giant water bug larvae, and at that size they sound more tropical than the bugs we grow in the UK.

I have another wierd thing in my moss ball. It is a white worm and is quite long. I think there is two. I will take a picture soon.
Any suggestions on what this one may be?

From what I have gathered, I believe that is a Fiebers Giant Water bug. A type of freshwater Hermipteran insect.
Which are most commonly found in South Africa, and as a popular snack in Southeast Asia. They stalk their prey which are small fish, snails, and small crustaceans.
They can get pretty big too, with the largest being around 4 inches.
I would suggest re-homing into another tank.
Creepy little buggers these. They bite hard to. Get them in our farm in the river along with crabs. Minnows. Shrimp. Snails. Etc.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back