I Have A New Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

reecear2

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have brought a tank and have left it to run for a week and a half and i have brought 6 fish, 2albino corydoras, 2mollies and 2guppies, the fish have been in for afew days but the tank is cloudy and was cloudy before i put the fish in, what shall i do? I have changed about 10% of the water every few days and i had thorougly washed everything before i put it all in, including the gravel and tank, i also put in water conditioner. Can anyone help?

My new tank! Its very cloudy, its has been running for a week and a half and has had fish in afew days, it has 2 corydors, 2 guppies and 2 mollies. Its has bubbles and everything has been washed. What shall i do?

Did you add all those fish at the same time as its not recommended as your filter cannot cope with the sudden change in nitrates etc

have you fish less cycled the tank before adding the fish. by this i mean added a form of ammonia.

if not is it a white cloudiness but you can not see any particles. in which case its a bacteria bloom. if your water testing fine, let it run its course. it will clear on its own.

if water test is bad, depending on results you may need to do a water change.

Yes shouldnt i have? I got the tank the same place i got the fish and they said its fine

The problem is that your tank isn't 'cycled'. That means it doesn't have a colony of good bacteria living in the filter. The bacteria eat the ammonia produced by the fish and turn it into less toxic substances; first nitrite, which is also toxic, and then nitrate, which is only toxic at very high levels, and which we keep low with water changes, in a cycled tank.

Just running a tank does not cycle it; you need a source of ammonia to do that.

You will need to get test kits for ammonia and nitrite, so you can monitor the levels and keep them low with water changes.

The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom (not the same sort of bacteria we want in our filters, unfortunately!). It will clear up on its own, but you will be doing water changes anyway, to keep your fish safe while your filter cycles.

If you can keep both ammonia and nitrite under 0.25ppm, at all times, yes, they should be alright, although there is always a risk involved in fish-in cycles.

Oh, and we would very strongly recommend you buy decent (liquid or tablet based) get kits of your own, rather than relying on the shop or on the paper 'dip strip' kind. The paper tests aren't very accurate, and you may need/want to test the water when the shops are shut!

how big is the tank? the cory numbers need uping eventually.

Is there any way you can take some fish back? The corys & mollies need a bigger tank. :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back