I got a new aquarium stand

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

IHaveADogToo

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
The stand that came with this Craigslist fish tank is rickety and wobbly and it’s a miracle it can hold a 30 gallon tank. When I picked it up after moving the aquarium to the new stand, one of the legs fell off it. So I guess I replaced it just in time. It literally wobbled when I walked by. My dog liked to lay below it, and I was afraid it was going to fall on her. It had to go.

Found this nice solid wood table on clearance. It’s so much nicer. And I’m not afraid it’s gonna fall over.

Had to drain the tank low enough to lift it. Took all decor out. I even removed the bettas for the move. It was an all day event. Who knew replacing an aquarium stand was so involved!

Attachments

• A53CA37E-5069-4CDB-B63A-7953D017D270.png
    A53CA37E-5069-4CDB-B63A-7953D017D270.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 3827F7C6-B003-4763-A50A-994D0F1A4867.jpeg
    3827F7C6-B003-4763-A50A-994D0F1A4867.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
the cast iron stand looks more stable then the wood stand IMO,

that wood stand is not made to support the weight of an aquarium that size

If it were particle board I might agree. It's solid wood, though.

You didn't see the cast iron stand in person. It was not stable. It wasn't even passing for stable.

EDIT: Correction, the old stand isn't cast iron, it's painted metal.

I have the same type of metal stand for my 29 gallon tank. As long as it is properly leveled and properly shimmed if necessary, that type of stand should be fine. It is evend designed to hold two tanks.

I have a particle board stand that came with my 35 gallon tall hex tank. It is about 30 years old and holding up well...got wet a few times with no ill effects.

Maybe you could add two additional legs, (blocks of wood) to the middle of the front and back of that stand , I did that to an end table that I use for my 10 gallon and feel it is more secure.

I considered adding another leg to the middle. Hearing you say it confirms it’s probably a good idea

I'm liking the look of your tank...nice wood and plants...:good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back