I Feel So Bad!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rebrn

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well my Betta seems to be settling in a little better, he is coming out more and more, not running and hiding when ever I approach the tank anymore. Actually saw him eat for the first time yesterday, before he wouldn't eat unless the light to the tank and the lights in the room were off. Anyway, saw him out, he actually swam toward the glass a little when I approached the tank, so I thought I would try him with his mirror. I think I scared him for life, he took off (faster then I have ever seen him swim before) inside his cave. Poor little guy I hope I didn't scare him too bad. :sad:

its too early to make him falre..

dont bother unless oyur 100% certian he is ready.

Me personally would never make a betta flare unless he's brave enough.

:good: hope i've helped..

I Thought it was longer?

I Had a betta witch was scared to falre and alwayys retreated at his sign of he';s reflection.

i had another one witch Always flared and own he's own little territory.

( he was vicious :crazy: )

Its been 9 days exactly. I think he's ok, I checked on him a few minutes after and he is out of his cave under his favourite leaf. I just felt so bad, I didn't mean to scare him.

Dont feel too bad, he will recover, if he is a little nervous do take a gentler approach with him, some are so feisty you end up reeling back from the tank, but your fellow sounds a gentler sort. If he is still scared of your own approach a little, sit by the tank and do some reading or something and just get him used to your prescence being near the tank. One of ours fled on sight but forced by presence on him by reading books on a beanbag next to the tank and he is the chipperest of lads now, it just took him longer than my other ones to settle. As long as he is eating and looks healthy from what you can see, dont worry too much x

Its been 9 days exactly. I think he's ok, I checked on him a few minutes after and he is out of his cave under his favourite leaf. I just felt so bad, I didn't mean to scare him.

Nah, id leave him for another week or so. :good:
So no mirror, just interact with him when you feed him, thats it. Let him get used to his tank first.

Good luck :good:

mmhmm agreed. Sit near he's tank let him know your there and who's the master.

Once the know who you are they'll become to develop a personality with you!

Some betta's you can even stroke! though i wouild'nt recommed it as it ruins there slime coat.

and you can make your betta go through hoops and such.

He is actually in our computer room, so eithor myself or my husband is always in the room (well almost always). He is definately not a shy one, at least he wasn't in the store, he was flaring at everying there, and very active too, well as active as one can be in a tiny little container. That is actually why I tried it, I really didn't think he would run, but I guess it was all an act at the store so he could get a better home :lol:

Yeah the mirror is definately going back in the cupboard :lol:

Aha.

it could also be the new territory he's in making hi mthink "Oh no.. New Place.. I Dont own it!"

So he's proberly scared to be caught by another betta just give him some time. :)

Oh I am not worried about him, he is already come along quite a bit, the first 4 days he wouldn't come out of his cave. So he has gotten better, and I am sure he will be fine. I just felt guilty for scaring him.

He was very well acclimated, I floated him for around 45 minutes, then slowly dripped tank water in, all in total was around 2-3 hours to get him acclimated. I found a website dedicated to Bettas (bettatalk.com I believe) and followed there acclimation process. He is doing fine, he is eating, and he does come out now, he no longer runs and hides when I approach the tank. It has only been 9 days, and I know most people here say 2 weeks, so I am sure he just needs a little more time before he get totally comfortable. But I kind of don't want him to get completely comfortable until later next week. I have ordered some Nerite snails (couldn't find them at LFS so had to order on-line, they should be here middle of this week), and I will be putting at least 1 possibly 2 of them into his tank. So if he is completely comfortable then he might try to attack them, and I really don't want that.

Most reactions

trending

Back