I feel cheated by my LFS... What Should I do?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hmmmmmm.

Reaction score
Hey,

I bought an aquael PFN 5500 form my LFS earlier this year and they charged me 230 bucks for it which is in line with the market value of the product at around $190 (I know they need to make money and stuff and this is an acceptable retail markup).

Recently the pump died and they took it in. As they did not have it in stock, they had to send it away for a new replacement from the supplier. I asked for an upgrade on the pump size as it was not creating enough flow through my sump so they got me the next size up PFN 7500 for an additional $170 over the cost of the original totalling $400, where the market value of the pump is $250. Furthermore, an upgrade to a PFN 10,000 would cost me an additional 556 dollars ($786 total).

I have always supported and trusted this LSF and thought they were being fair with me in terms of pricing. I thought they had already charged me the 40 odd dollars for the sale and would do the right thing. But no. They ended up cashing another 170 dollars off me just like that.

I know this was my mistake knowing that I should have done my research beforehand but this is criminal.

I dont think I can support my LFS anymore with such markups...

This is rather common among some fish stores. I have found the chain stores the worse; they may advertise "lower prices," but they are often less than helpful if you encounter trouble. I went through something similar last year with a brand new light fixture than stopped working after only five weeks, and the store absolutely refused to do anything given their 30-day return policy. I emailed the head office of the chain (it was Petland here in Canada) and obviously that got back to the store manager as she did email me in a couple weeks, but by then it was too late, I had fixed the light at my own expense, and said they would never see me darken their door again--and they will not see me, ever.

Locally-owned independent stores are usually much better for service and issues like these, as they have more to lose with dissatisfied customers. It pays to get to know them, and patronize them, so in times of trouble you are more likely to be helped.

Fish stores do have a high overhead, which is why so many go out of business so often. Competing with lower-priced chain stores, and more often online retailers, is a significant issue for them, so one can understand higher prices to cover the overhead. I have a local store than prices their merchandise equal to the discount online suppliers, and needless to say I do a lot of business with them; I had a faulty air pump last year, that reduced its air output after I had it for five months, and they replaced it with no hassle. I just had to give them the old one, and I got a new one, even without the receipt. They know me, and that makes quite a difference.

Byron.

Competing with lower-priced chain stores, and more often online retailers, is a significant issue for them
The LFS is doomed, Online sales will kill them in the long run like it did the LFS I used to go to. I tried supporting them I truly did but in the end saving money drove me online, I use Easy Life fluid filter media, In LFS it was $63 AUD for 1 liter, online I can get a liter for $35 or for $139 I can get 4 liters and its only $7.50 postage.

https://www.thetechden.com.au/Easy_Life_5_liter_Aquarium_Water_Conditioner_p/el5000.htm

I shop at the tech den too! :) the prices are so good! I got the prime 1 litre bottle from my LFS for 40 bucks (after friends and family discount) but I got it for 20 bucks there :p... sorry LFS I'm not rich

I think after realizing the overcharge I would have gone back and spoken to a manager suggesting there was a mistake in overcharging...and if it wasn't a mistake, making it clear you'd never shop there again (and don't).

In any case, lesson learned...there are sharks in the water and us little fish need to be diligent. :-(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back