FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have just gotten 3 mollies to go in my new 10 gallon tank
Your tank is too small for Mollies

Hey :) got some information for you!

"stress less" and "safe start"
This is pointless don't waste your money
dip sticks
Nope, get a more accurate test kit such as the API master test kit.
nitrite levels are safe
What are they? the only safe N and A levels are 0ppm any above is harmful. period.
little soft
how soft?
water change tomorrow
Make sure you do 50 percent weekly water changes
2 small breed catfish
Never heard of these? picture?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Fish tank before mollies, I was told the mollies where tetras when I bought them. Lol

This is pointless don't waste your money. Why?

Nope, get a more accurate test kit such as the API master test kit.
Why? It's to expensive!
I have never had any trouble keeping fish before, only when someone else does stupid things to my tank have my fish died, like not wornning me that the plants have paricitic snails on them that will end up killing my betta!

What are they? the only safe N and A levels are 0ppm any above is harmful. period. It comes up as there isn't any at all.

how soft? Well I have not gotten an salt in to the tank yet and I have filtered tap water, I just learned about the salt and had to wait to find out if it would kill my catfish.

Make sure you do 50 percent weekly water changes. Yes I know this, thanks.

Never heard of these? They are Cory catfish.

It's to expensive
This hobby is expensive. you are in the wrong hobby if you think its just a tank filter and heater.

I have never had any trouble keeping fish before, only when someone else does stupid things to my tank have my fish died
Its not about keeping fish alive, its about helping them thrive in captivity. 2 different things, suffering and living.
Worthless.

Corydoras Sp. need at least a group of six, I recommend you return or give away this guy since you cannot provide that. they also need sand and a heavily planted tank.

I can House a Oscar in a five gallon tank with 100 filters and it will live.
This is the equivalent of what you just said.
We want fish to be happy, not ourselves all the time. There is no why to something that is a rule or statement.

Ok thank you all
my tank is clean, my #'s are where they need to be, I have 5 male fish in a 10gallon tank that are getting along just fine, and all I really wanted to know when I posted this was
"do I have to have a freaking female ( always pregnant, yuck) fish in my tank to make the male fish happy or could I have a bachilor tank?"
Non of you answered that question and all you did is fuss at me about my tank!
The tank was given to me as a gift! I really like watching my fish swim about and interact with each other. I have no desire to breed them or fuss with them all the time. If a tank is well watched you should not have to fuss with all the #'s they should be able to self sustain like they do in nature. And that is what I am striving for. Balance in my tank!

Balance in my tank!
Not even experts can totally balance a tank. It is the most incredible skill out there. Nickau has kind of done it, it can take up to 10 years to master this.
my #'s are where they need to be
No they aren't.
Non of you answered that question and all you did is fuss at me about my tank
Wonder why... Its in bad condition and we tried to help you, if you don't let us that's your issue. watching fish suffer.
no desire to fuss with them all the time
Wrong hobby.

No I transferred the betta balls from my old 5 gallon tank in to the new one and added the recommended amount of "stress less" and "safe start" to the tank. My dip sticks say that the amonia and nitrite levels are safe and that my water is just a little soft, witch I plain on fixing when I do my water change tomorrow. My ph is at 7.5 so that should be fine too.
I have 1 Dalmatian Mollie, 1 harlequin Mollie, 1 gold and black swardtail Mollie, and 2 small breed catfish.
I find it hard to belive that a snail can kill a betta, my two Bettas get along fine with small fish that they could easily eat, I don't even introduce them slowly, once a betta gets used to tank mates, it pretty much doesn't care what I add, but it all depends on space. Your tank seems over stocked, and not cycled, we are not trying to be rude to you or maleness a fuss, we are trying to help save your fish.

I find it hard to belive that a snail can kill a betta
I find it hard to belive that a snail can kill a betta, my two Bettas get along fine with small fish that they could easily eat, I don't even introduce them slowly, once a betta gets used to tank mates, it pretty much doesn't care what I add, but it all depends on space. Your tank seems over stocked, and not cycled, we are not trying to be rude to you or make a fuss, we are trying to help save your fish.

ive only heard of them choking on pest snails, or pond snails. Nothing else. Gets stuck in their throat and chokes them to death, uncommon but its true.

I've heard that also

Yep, he eat one ( I did not know they where there and I did rinse the plants off before putting them in) and then spent two days swimming on his side then a day and a half swimming in a tight right turn, then was just dead at the bottom of the tank. I put the dead body in a bowl of clean water to take bake to the pet store the next day cause he died at like 9pm. When I returned the body there where 6 snails in the bowl with the body!
And I have gotten a lot of info from more then one source on how to care for the fish I now have. The people where I bought them from have given me advice and said "1 fish per gallon should be fine." I have half the # of fish they said I could put in the tank. Also they told me to make sure the water is clean, and the tank is not murky. I have a pump, heater,air stone and air pump, tempiture gage, big hollow rock for them to hide in, fake plants, and 4 betta balls ( moss balls).
Btw this is not a hobby for me, it is a commitment to an animal, making model cars is a hobby!
I really do not appreciate being told that I can't make it work from people that breed tons of fish and then do what with them? Sale them to "stupid" people like me that "don't know how to take care of them". They are not pets to you they are a hobby!

Last edited:
I had to purg my hole tank, thanks to a good friend of mine, when I did that, my tank got upgraded to a 10g from a 5g, and there are no snails in my new tank, ya!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back