I Don't Know If This Is Algae

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Dragonomine

Reaction score
Hi!  I have a 55 gallon tank that I set up in June.  I've had fish in this tank for about 6 years previously and it has stood empty for about a year before I decided to get more fish.

I didn't have any problems at all with the tank before and now it seems like I have nothing but problems!  It took well over 2 months for the tank to cycle through the first time.  Ammonia would go off the charts.  I finally got that taken care of and now my water is cloudy with a green tint.  You can see it get worse by the hour.  I've been doing 25%-50% water changes, I have tried  accu-clear once and tetra algae control twice now.  Nothing has helped at all.  I took a sample of the water to Petco and they said there's nothing wrong with it.  The fish are just fine.

The tank isn't in direct sunlight.  There were no live plants in the tank but I did buy some 2 days ago.  I'm just at my wit's end.  I took a picture of the tank.  You can see the cloudiness but I don't think you can see that there's a green tint to it.  Any help at all would be appreciated.  

Sounds like the algae are just happy to find some nutrients in your water :) The easiest way to get rid of the algae is to keep the tank dark and devoid of light for a few days. The algae will die and you'll just need to mechanically filter out the dead bodies!

yep, cover your tank with black towels and dont turn the lights on, the fish will be fine without light, wait 3-4 days, then change a good % of the water to remove the nasties!

another thing would be to buy a UV steriliser, that would clear it.

Thank you!  I was wondering about a UV sterilizer.  I've been looking at them.

Hm.. what size UV sterilizer would be ideal for a 55 gallon tank?

My apologies, I've never suffered from cloudy water so I've not had to treat it, but I was under the impression that cloudy water is a result of bacterial blooms not algae.  Algae can turn your water green but your picture looks more like a bacterial bloom to me.  I'm not sure that blackouts will help with this, a UV sterilizer might but seems a bit extreme.  I'd try asking for help on dealing with bacterial blooms first before you blow your cash.

Most reactions

Back