I Can Explain, Honest.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Baccus

We are not born just so we can die
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
For the last few weeks I have been seeing 5 desert rainbow fish in one of my local petshops, I was tempted to get them but I didnt like the price of $15+ each, until today when I went in and the fish desert rainbows where 50% off
ohmy.png
.​ So of course even though I was not especially in the market for some more rainbows, it was a bargain I couldn't resist, that and the fact I know the 5 will do better being kept together rather than split up into 1's and 2's. Plus the shop owner had just had a whinge to my Hubby that I never buy any fish. Ha 
tongue2.gif
proved her wrong. But really I would buy fish more often if they actually had species I am after like certain species of Whiptail catfish, Loaches besides Clown loaches, shrimp aside from Marine shrimp or even speciality snails.
Since the Desert Rainbows will end up quite similar to my current Dawson River/ Fitzroy River and Calliope River Rainbows I have put these news guys with the very different and distinct Dwarf Neon Rainbows and sole remaining Pygmy Rainbow. So here's hoping that the new guys (2 males and 3 females) settle in well and start to colour up nicely.

Did take some photos this afternoon but, for now the Desert Rainbows arent showing much colour, hardly surprising since the males where barely coloured in the shop and its pretty stressful being moved. Also they arent mature fish so they really only look like sardines with a little faint black edges on their fins.

Yes that is them, but they are still quite young and the only way I picked the 2 potential males was the faint blackening along the edges of their fins.
Here are some more pictures of what they should look like when mature.
http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_data/Melanotaenia_splendida_tatei.html

Just checked the photos I took of them earlier, and they are either not in focus or to jumbled up with the Dwarf Neon Rainbows to clearly see which is which in the photos.

Wow, these pics on your link are even better if thats possible at all :eek:

Boy!

I really like these to be perfectly honest, wonder if theres any more information to be had about these. A really lovely addition to any tank imho.

I would say the pictures on the Aquagreen site are when the males where in spawning mode, hence the pink belly. But I think they should end up stunning fish. The only reason I didnt put them with my very similar local rainbows is I dont want the two interbreeding. At a guess I think the pygmy rainbow and the Dwarf Neons shouldnt breed with these Desert ones, but many rainbows will gladly cross breed.

Apparently Desert Rainbows are not that common outside of Australia, so if you wanted them it might be a bit of a hunt.

Just to really whet your appetite for what I can get over here if I put my mind to it...
http://watershed3.tripod.com/rainbows.html#tates

Rainbows certainly are a nice fish, its just a shame some of them can get so huge, and therefore arent really suitable for anything less than a 4ft tank. I remember one time being at a creek and a person was catching rainbows on a fishing line and hook, the fish where probably easily 20-30cm.
One of ,my local rainbows is quite large, he would be around the 10-15cm mark and he dwarfs the rainbows and especially the endlers and corydoras that share his tank. If my local rainbows get any bigger I might have to look at rehoming them in my pond.

This is not one of the Desert Rainbows, they still arent showing much colour yet.
Instead its one of my local rainbows most likely a strain of Fitrzroy River Rainbow. He's also one of the biggest guys I have at the moment.

Baccus said:
This is not one of the Desert Rainbows, they still arent showing much colour yet.
Instead its one of my local rainbows most likely a strain of Fitrzroy River Rainbow. He's also one of the biggest guys I have at the moment.

Simply stunning! I've never heard of most of these localities!

The interesting thing with Australian Rainbow fish because they can be found in almost any waterway each district/ water catchment will tend to have its own slight varients. Many rainbow fish over here are simply given common names in relation to the creek system they where caught in.
I have noticed my rainbows starting to spar so I wouldnt be surprised if they start spawning. I just wish the Pacific Blue Eyes would also start spawning, my Spotted Blue Eyes are almost always producing young but so far nothing from the Pacific Blue Eyes.
This will give you some idea of the sheer number of Rainbow fish varieties available
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

My personal dream to have is these guys
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Rhadino.htm

So I finally managed to get an alright photo of one of the male desert rainbows, be seems to have claimed this area of the tank as his spawning grounds and happily chases the Neon Rainbows and Threadfins away from his spot. It is also when he shows the best colour when in the process of seeing off other fish but it also means he is usually moving like greased lightening and hard to get an in focus shot.

On his body there is also a green iridescence but I am having trouble picking that up in photos

:)

Looks simply stunning. These are a real nice rainbowfish, pity the green iridescense cannot be picked up by the camera, bet that looks great.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back