hygrophilia: dying or adjusting?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

xoxsarahxox

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently added a hygrophilia to my 10 gallon maybe a week and a half to 2 weeks ago, the tank itself is about 1 month old, and I noticed all of the older leaves of the hygrophilia wilt and are coming off of the plant, however there are plenty of new green leaves growing at the top of the plant. Is this plant in trouble or could it be adjusting to the new tank? I'm confused because the leaves are browning and detaching from the plant, but new green leaves are still popping up.....any insight would be appreciated. The other plants in the tank are all healthy and green and growing. Does this happen to new plants? its never happened to any others ive had. thanks!

This could be a single issue or a combination of issues. You haven't given the specific species, but the commonly-seen Hygrophila species are marsh plants that grow submersed or emersed, and the leaves will be somewhat to significantly different, depending. Changing water parameters between the store tank and yours can cause many plants to react; this can include light, GH, nutrients temperature. And then there are the conditions you are now providing, mainly the light and nutrient availability.

If the lower leaves have died and fallen off, it would be best to pull up the stems, cut off the lower parts, and replant the upper portions. IF the stems continue to grow, which they obviously will do toward the light at the surface, all is well. From that point, lower leaves will remain only if the plant is under sufficient light intensity. Stem plants are fast growing, and this means higher light and nutrient requirements, and the plant will naturally put its efforts more in new growth which means that lower leaves will be shed if light (primarily) and nutrients are insufficient.

Last general comment...not all plants will thrive together in the same tank. Requirements respecting light and nutrients differ from plant species to plant species, and there are inhibitors some plants release for their own benefit. If this stem plant does not fare well, and your other plants are doing well, it is better to try and remove it rather than risk an imbalance that might harm the existing plant growth.

Byron.

Thanks for your reply Byron. I'm not sure what species it is it was just labeled as a hygrophilia I have attached a picture see how the bottom leaves are gone but the skinny leaves at the top are new. I dose with api leaf zone once a week, lightings not the best its just 2 15 watt aquarium bulbs looking into some better lighting. Other plants in the tank are an amazon sword, a couple crypt parvas and a bacopa.

Attachments

• 1479856910915-1130832883.jpg
    1479856910915-1130832883.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 157
That may be Hygrophila corymbosa but if someone else thinks differently, I won't argue as I am not always certain on stem plants. I did try this plant once, and it lasted for a few months but eventually became nothing but top leaves near the surface so I gave up on it. Once one has decided on the light, plants that do well under that light are the ones to stay with.

On the light, assuming you have screw-in bulbs (2 in the fixture), I would suggest you get yourself two 9w CFL Daylight bulbs. I use this over my 10g and over my 20g, and the plants do very well. The 9w CFL are supposedly the same intensity as the old 40w incandescent bulbs, and having used 13w, I find the 9w more than sufficient or algae becomes an issue. Get the Daylight bulbs, with a 6500K rating. You could use the warmer 5000K, I've tried both, and mixed them, but the 6500K seem to be better overall.

The sword and crypts will be good under this lighting. The Bacopa maybe, it is a stem plant and thus brighter light and more nutrients. But if it is managing now, it should be just as good if not a bit better with the 6500K CFL bulbs.

To the fertilizer, I would try a comprehensive supplement like Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement, or Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. Both are much the same, containing nearly all the nutrients in proportion. A small bottle will last you months, as you use so little.

The API Leaf Zone is only iron and potassium, and while this might help sometimes, depending upon your source water and fish food there could be other nutrients missing.

Byron.

Thank you Byron I will take your advice with the lighting and the fertilizer and hopefully the hygrophilia will hang in there!

I see I didn't previously mention that the CFL bulbs are the spiral ones, available from hardware and home improvement type stores. Just wanted to be clear. If fish stores do have these, they will be more expensive. I use the GE 6500K CFL bulbs, but Phillips or Sylvania will be the same.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back