Hybrids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppyDude

Stephen
Reaction score
Found a list of betta species on the web and found that a few of them belong to the same family as the betta splendens, could there be cross breeding? Iv never heard of it being done but it interests me so im asking to see what you guys know. I have heard of betta imbellis being bred with splendins but i dont think iv ever seen pictures or evidence of such.

Oh yes, bettas can hybridize! :nod:
ALL bettas belong to the same family... in fact, they belong to the same Genus -- Betta.
Bettas come in two breeding styles, mouthbrooder and bubblenester, and there are several groups within these two divisions:
Bubblenester -- Splendens, Bellica, and Coccina groups
Mouthbrooders -- Picta, Pugnax, Waseri, Akarensis, Foerschi, Albimarginata, and Patoti groups

Any bettas within the same group can hybridize with one-another, meaning splendens can easily crossbreed with imbellis, smaragdina, and rubra, for instance. Outside of that, hybridization can occur, but it's more iffy. You'd have more luck breeding moutbrooder to mouthbrooder and bubblenester to bubblenester, but I don't doubt it is probably possible in some cases to breed mouthbrooders to bubblenesters and vice versa. The less closely related the species, however, the harder it'd be to get viable hybrid offspring.

I can just imagine trying to breed the offspring...the poor little dudes won't know if they should bubble nest or hold the eggs. Maybe it'll do both! That'd be interesting. :lol:

Some species actually do bubblenest or mouthbrood depending on conditions! I think brownorum was one of them... they're called switch-hitters ;)

Hi Synirr does that mean a smaragdina can be crossed with a PK and have viable offspring, I read somewhere where they crossed a smaragdina with a PK and the eggs hatched but the fry died after a week ?

Hi Synirr does that mean a smaragdina can be crossed with a PK and have viable offspring, I read somewhere where they crossed a smaragdina with a PK and the eggs hatched but the fry died after a week ?
They should be viable, yes. In fact, in smaragdina fighting lines, the most desireable fish have some splendens in their blood. :nod:

Interesting, I have a pair (recently indulged) and I also have some PK's, in fact the female looks very much like the smaragdina female in as much as she has a dark body and slightly red tail fins.

Maybe they can do swappsies partners sometime soon when they have all been properly conditoned. Could be interesting offspring occuring, but presumably they will all have dark coloured bodies until maybe F2 or F3 do you think ? :hey:

BetterBettas/BlueBettaUSA is getting some Betta macrostoma in their next shipment March first. They are reserving now.

I had no idea there was so many species of bettas! At first I thought there was only VT until I came on this forum, and then I only thought there was VT, CT, HM and a couple of others, by the looks of it, there is hundreds of different types!

I am learning of new ones frequently and not yet able to discuss them all intellegently

I had no idea there was so many species of bettas! At first I thought there was only VT until I came on this forum, and then I only thought there was VT, CT, HM and a couple of others, by the looks of it, there is hundreds of different types!

vt, ct, hm, deltas, and all of those are just tail types, they are same species of fish, (betta splendin).

Thanks for the info synirr, very cool. If i ever find myslef back into bettas that sounds like something i would toy around with. :D

jollysue, I'd suggest NOT ordering from Bryan Epstein and betterbettas. The guy is a creep. No breeders will sell him their A-grade fish. He refuses to take pictures of the actual fish you're getting. Won't answer questions... just go read this thread on Betty Splendens... http://p105.ezboard.com/fchampionbettas308...opicID=11.topic

If you want macrostoma, order them from Thailand.

To each his own. I have been doing business with Bryan for awhile--not years or anything, but awhile. I have bought a few Betta. But I have bought multiple shipments of wild caught Coradoras. I have not had a problem with him, as a matter of fact I have found him to be very helpful and interested in the health of his fish. None of the Cories I have gotten from him have been sick or diseased. And the same with the Bettas. They also were young when advertised such. I am not aware that Bryan is a breeder.

I think he can get defensive when he feels attacked, and he may have a bit of a temper, although he has never been ungentlemanly with me. He has actually been a blessing. I consider him a positive in my experience and would not hesitate to ask him if I had a question about the care of Betta or Cories. I also have found him to be respected by other fulltime dealers of fish products in the business.

I know this is waaay off topic but...

Iv also done business with brian and i have had very few problems. He was a little werid and unprofessional, but im pretty sure the man knows his fish. Probably wont do business again just because of the horror stories iv heard, but he's still a reliable seller, iv definately come across worse.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back