Hybrids Of Mine Gambusia Affinis X Poecilia Recticulata

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I've heared these cross but have never seen any proof, are working with virgin fish that you have breed and you sure that no males of the same species hae breed with the females you wanting to work with as if they have been with any males then it's point less trying to breed then as thay can store sperm for 6-8 months. so it's pointless doing anything untill that time frame has passed.

As even if 3-4 months pass with no fry they can then still then sudderenly produce a batch with no males around.

i dont thinke it could possible although always hearing about these kind reports , Affins and Recticulata even not in same Genus. could u show me any pic for the flys and there parents?

i dont thinke it could possible although always hearing about these kind reports , Affins and Recticulata even not in same Genus. could u show me any pic for the flys and there parents?

No offense, but I really hate how some people assume that because fish are in different genuses, they cannot cross. For example, tigers and lions can cross, asian and african elephants can cross. They are all in different genuses. Even unrelated cichlids in different genuses can cross (but that's possibly due to the classification... the classification of cichlids, mainly south american ones are a bit sketchy) Mollies and guppies can hybridize, mollies and limias can hybridize... the list goes on and on.

One problem is the shape of the gonopodium, a guppies gonopodium is hooked at the tip and a gambusia's it not so placing the packets of sperm correctly is must less likely to be successfully

No offense, but I really hate how some people assume that because fish are in different genuses, they cannot cross. For example, tigers and lions can cross, asian and african elephants can cross. They are all in different genuses. Even unrelated cichlids in different genuses can cross (but that's possibly due to the classification... the classification of cichlids, mainly south american ones are a bit sketchy) Mollies and guppies can hybridize, mollies and limias can hybridize... the list goes on and on.
seems u had successful about these kind text. what kind Hybrids have u done or seen. got any proof? im really interested in these things too, but cant c any things seems believable.

What's...........with...............all................the...............

............DOTS?

who told you they were in different genuses? :hyper: they're both panthera. and asian and african elephant? i'm not trying to be mean but are you serious? location doesn't determine the genus of an animal

who told you they were in different genuses? :hyper: they're both panthera. and asian and african elephant? i'm not trying to be mean but are you serious? location doesn't determine the genus of an animal
[/quote]

True if that were the case humans would have 6 genera at least

firstly lion/tiger crosses (ligers/tigons) are a man made creation and only achieved by introvenus fertilisation.
put a male lion in with a female tiger you end up with a dead lion, same with female lion male tiger (dead lion).

secondly it is possible to have an african/asian elephant cross. however the calf (Motty) died after 12 days (Chester Zoo in 1978.)
so the result was an unviable offspring that nature dealt with. also all 3 species (yes there are 3 species now) of elephant are in the same family Elephantidae

Since the OPs original mentioning of this, I've done a bit more research and have come to the conclusion
Gambusia are in the family Poeciliidae as are Poecilia and they are both in the subfamily Poeciliinae,
this makes me think that the genus on one of the fish is wrongly classified and a hybrid is very possible.
I'd still like to see scientific proof though.

Gambusia are in the family Poeciliidae as are Poecilia and they are both in the subfamily Poeciliinae,
this makes me think that the genus on one of the fish is wrongly classified and a hybrid is very possible.
I'd still like to see scientific proof though.

The classification is not important as some species are mis-named or just changed by science for some reason some genuses are split but it's a long job.

The scientists studied the endlers for over 30 years (1975-2006) before finally describing the as a new species. Many people before this classed them as guppies as they are easily crossed with all lines of guppies, but until they started using genetic make up of the fish they discovered the genetic differences to classify them as a new species.

The primary way to differentiate species are.

Lateral line count
Lateral line to highest scale count
Lateral line to lowest scale count
Dorsal fin ray count
Caudal fin ray count
Gill raker count

Extra with livebearers

Gonopodium structure.

With livebearers the primary way to place fish into a genus is by the gonopodium. The structures is firstly grouped together to form the genus this is why platies and swordtail's are in the same genus and not two different genuses.

This is a typical shape of a gonopodium of a Xiphophours
gonopodium.gif

And now two different species of Gambusia. (primary differece is the gonopodium is pointed in gambusia, classing them closer the the Brachyraphis than than Poecilia)

gambusia_gonopodia.jpg

Gonopodia structure of Poecilia reticulata in Fig a. Poecilia winge, in Fig b and c
7401a07fig6.jpg

As u can see the structure with in the same species can be slightly different but on the basics it's the same design.

Anyway I've rambled on here but think I've explained the basics now and crossing between different species is difficult as the structures are different and makes fertilisation very difficult with out artificial insemination being used.

:hyper: WOW!!!

Thanks for all that info and breakdown helterskelter, I never realized that myself... hmm... looks like I need to do some more reading in my spare time... :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back