Hybrid Gourami?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

halfbloodprincess

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I bought this gourami a while ago at my lfs and just thought him to be a honey. Well that is what the lfs told me. Now that I researched them and saw a new stock at the lfs, I dont think he is a true honey gourami. He is the exact size and shape ect. to be a honey gourami except he has no red.

Here are some pics:
Picture245.jpg

Picture425.jpg

100_1160-1.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1031-1.jpg

As far as i knoe they just one of the colour morph's thats been devloped, i'm sure it's not a cross breed.

Looks like a "honey" gourami. They are a dwarf species. Yours seems to be a little brighter than most, but i am sure thats what he is. Beautiful fish. :good:

:no:
Its a female dwarf gourami, i am 99% certain of this.
The slight bump in the forehead, the overall colouration, the colour of the dorsal and anal fins (yellow and blue), the broad leaf shape
What length is it?
All 3; colisa labiosa(thick lip), colisa chuna/sota(honey) and colisa lalia(dwarf) are easily differentiated between via the full grown size.
Me and the GF are now arguing over this after replying in the original thread (ages ago) she is of the opinion that it may be a honey but that the pictures don't show enough to be sure. I certainly think Dwarf.
In the first pic, at the rear near the caudal fin, is that a horizontal stripe or a trick of the light?

I have had dwarf gouramis but sadly they died but he has lived. He seems to be a hardy fish. The dwarfs were big compared to him. He is small. I will put a pic comparing him and a gold gourami. I think he is a honey. I dont believe he is a thick-lip.

GuppyDude:
Thanks he definatly is beautiful!

Pics:
Gold Gourami and the honey(his name is pippen)
IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Pippen
IMG_0021.jpg

Sandy (the gold gourami)
IMG_0049.jpg

Its a female dwarf gourami.... Honestly!
:nod:
Honeys stay around 1.5, thick lips get to 3-3.5"

Nooo the dwarfs are taller and thicker than Pippen. I am still sure he must be a honey.

He may be a color morph.

Im backing Germ up on this, if its 2" long, its not a Honey. It is also very thick and chunky looking, you wont really find anything thicker than him.

Noo that is what I mean, the dwarfs are thick and chunky looking and he is not. It most definatly is a honey. And I have to tell you the truth I just guessed the length of him. He is between 1.5 inches. He is TINY if you could see him in my aquarium in person.

just a thought, but wouldnt that betta get its fins nipped by a gourami? but i dont know if the gouramis breed isnt nippy or not..... :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back