Hunchback Female Guppy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tiffany Green

Reaction score
I recently noticed one of my female guppy has a hunchback.
I read from somewhere it is a deformity. Another site mentioned something being a fish TB?
I have her isolated in a small breeding tank for a couple of weeks and was wondering if its actually ok to put her into the main tank with the others.

She has had babies (tonnes of them before) and so far they still look ok to me.

Picture attached. Any advise and suggestion?
(I am not the kind who will flush them down or get rid of them)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• guppy.jpg
    guppy.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 308
How long has the fish had the hunch back and been hanging around the surface?
If it's only been a day or so she probably has an internal bacterial infection that has damaged/ ruptured internal organs and caused her to bend. The most common form of bacterial infection that does this is Tuberculosis (TB).

Fish can carry TB around for months or even years and the bacteria slowly multiplies on or in the internal organs. Eventually the bacteria destroy the organ or cause it to split open/ rupture, and the fish usually swells up, stops eating, does stringy white poop, sits under the surface or near a filter outlet and breathes heavily, and dies within 24-48 hours of showing these symptoms.

There is no cure for fish TB and if the fish does have it, then all the fish in the tank will have it too.

If the fish has been hunched for a week or more, then it could have a damaged swim bladder or it might have another type of internal infection that is not TB.

There is nothing you can do about swim bladder issues, and most internal infections are very hard to treat.

---------------------
I'm glad you don't flush fish and I hope nobody else reading this flushes fish either. One of the big issues about people flushing fish down a toilet is the fish might have diseases that can get into natural waterways and infect and kill native fishes. The same thing can happen when people pour used aquarium water down the drain, it can transmit diseases to fish living in the wild.

For anyone who does tip used aquarium water down the drain, please stop. Pour the used tank water on the garden or lawn. The plants love the nutrients and the soil will filter out any sediment. It's great for your garden and prevents diseases getting into the natural waterways.

yeah....
Now i'm just thinking what I should do with the hunchback cause it is settling in that one small extra tank that's sitting away from my main tank..... its looking lonely..... =(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back