Huge White Growth On Neon Tetra

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xamy_valox

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi, 
I don't know how I have missed this until now, but just feeding my fish and noticed one of my Neon Tetra has a huge white growth on his tail, before the actual fin, at the end of the body.

I have some photo's but they don't show it very well. The best way I can describe it, is like a huge zit with hairs coming out of it! The fish doesn't seem bothered by it, I haven't seen it flicking and it is eating normally. 

Any ideas on what it is, and what I can do to get rid of it? No other fish seem to be affected.

38687763-60D7-4E9B-9E89-C7F0F7384F0E-2210-0000011E17979A11_zpsb863eae7.jpg

235C295C-EE13-4A79-9EDD-585E9F52979D-2210-0000011E131F44FC_zpsf4fadde1.jpg

Thanks.

I think it's is some kind of fungal infection. I had cardinal tetras and only after a day or 2 one of the cardinals had no tail left at all and the 'stump' looked very similar to the pic you have posted. The hairiness you describe was on mine too. Mine went back to the shop and they also said it was a fungus.

As to exactly what it is and how to treat it, I'm afraid I can't help but its a start.

The guy in the shop wondered if the fish I bought might have already had a slight injury and that the stress of moving, along with the usual extra stress that neons and cardinals seem to be sensitive to, caused this fungal infection.

How long have you had them? Has anything happened recently that could cause unusual amounts of stress? Have you recently added any new tank mates?

I got them off my brother, about 6 of them and he had them for a while. I wonder if it got injured in the catching process and it has become infected? I have an anti bacterial med that I could add to the tank, I've forgotten the name of it off the top of my head. Should I add it in or is it not worth it with it as bad as it is?

To be honest I don't know how to treat it. Maybe you could put the question in the tropical emergencies board and see if anyone has any experience of this there. I wouldn't like to give you the wrong advice with regards to treatments.

I hope someone can advise you better than me. There is usually someone who will have had the same problem who has experience of treating this.

It's weird, I looked at the fish today and the actual 'zit' type thing that had the hair growing out of it seems to have vanished. I don't know if it has fallen off or has been scraped off?! The neon still has a weird looking back fin, like the bone has got too big and is trying to get through the skin but the actual blob is nowhere to be seen?!

How can I move this to the tropical emergencies section?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back