How young can you tell a dwarf gouramis gender?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dizzynatalie

Reaction score
Hi there im new to the forum.
My dwarf gouramis have had babies.. quite some time ago now.. maybe 9 months or more. The young are around 2 thirds the size of the adult females now and a lovely looking female.. bright iridescent silver looking one has suddenly started going red! Would it really take all this time for a male dwarf gourami to start showing the red colouring? I've tried to Google it but I'm having no luck with any factual information on how soon you can sex dwarf gourami.

Any advice and information welcome.
Regards, Natalie

It depends on how fast the fish are grown. If a baby fish is fed correctly from day 1, they can show colour within 3-6 months, at which time they will be sexually mature and able to breed. Most people don't feed the fry as well as they could and it can take 12 months or more before the fish colour up.

Warm water helps them grow faster too. 28C is the optimum temp for raising tropical fish fry.

Large (75%) daily water changes also help by reducing growth inhibiting hormones released by the fry.

It depends on how fast the fish are grown. If a baby fish is fed correctly from day 1, they can show colour within 3-6 months, at which time they will be sexually mature and able to breed. Most people don't feed the fry as well as they could and it can take 12 months or more before the fish colour up.

Warm water helps them grow faster too. 28C is the optimum temp for raising tropical fish fry.

Large (75%) daily water changes also help by reducing growth inhibiting hormones released by the fry.

Thank you so much for the reply. This is exactly the kind of information I needed. Some good tips about the water too. Ours is a fair few degrees lower than 28 ATM. The gouramis had an emergency transfer to a non heated tank when our tropical tank split a few weeks ago. We have now fixed it and it just needs to be moved and refilled so the gouramis can go back home! We were lucky that they survived the transition to a much cooler tank tbh. So fingers crossed moving then back again will go smoothly.
Husband's corrected me that the gouramis are just coming up to 8 months old now.

Thanks for your message
Natalie

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back