How would you group my fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

superman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone, It is now garage sale time, and I will be looking for larger aquariums!! It crossed my mind to ask you guys how you would group my fish, given unlimited tank sizes and 3 total tanks. My list of current fish are below in my signature.

I would also appreciate ideas on how many tanks YOU would buy if you were me, and how big you would want them if you were to do this yourself. The waterfall setup is near...

Actually, I'd like to follow up on this one as well.
I'll be getting (at least) a 30 gallon today! :D New home for the pleco, but I am not quite sure what I want to do with it...

I was thinking Oscars... but is a 30 gal. still a bit too small for them? Do they cohabitate well with other fish?
Any suggestions?

SUPERMAN - neat webpage... you have a nicely 'varied' life! I am the same... makes it that much better doesn't it? What do you hunt? I love game meat... having bison tonight, actually.
Very cool! :)

bluepacific said:
Actually, I'd like to follow up on this one as well.
I'll be getting (at least) a 30 gallon today! :D New home for the pleco, but I am not quite sure what I want to do with it...

I was thinking Oscars... but is a 30 gal. still a bit too small for them? Do they cohabitate well with other fish?
Any suggestions?

SUPERMAN - neat webpage... you have a nicely 'varied' life! I am the same... makes it that much better doesn't it? What do you hunt? I love game meat... having bison tonight, actually.
Very cool! :)
A thirty gallon would be a little small for Oscars in the long run. Are you interested in a carnivorous set up? Tell me what type of fish you are looking to house, do you want a lot of little fish, or just a couple carnivores...you get the picture.
If I were to set up a thirty gallon from scratch, I would go with a canister filter or sump as my filtration, use silica sand as a base in the aquarium.

I am going turkey hunting this weekend, I CAN'T WAIT!! I hunt deer in the fall/winter, I am such a meat eater! I am SO jealous that you are eating bison, bison meat is so lean and so tasty!

Thanks for the comment on my web page that is under major construction, it is working out allright I think.

Thanks for the comments, let us know what types of fish you are interested in.

Just to let you knopw i have looked at this and i will have a proper look at it when the mrs gives me a seconds peace later.

Given that space and cost arent issues this is how i would seperate your fish up into 3 tanks,

Tank 1:100g minimum,in this one i would place the butterfly fish,ctenopoma,both bichirs and the rope fish,to this i would add a giraffe catfish some kind of distichodus spiecies and a shoal of congo tetras for some colour.

Tank 2: 150g minimum (this large because of adult size of knife fish),in here i would place both knife fish the fire eel and the needle fish,i would also probably put the sleaper goby in here as well but only from not being sure of temperment,if the fish can hold its own i would be tempted to put it in with the Dempsy.I would add to this some medium sized mystus catfish and prehaps some tinfoil barbs or balas

Tank 3: With cichlids not being my number 1 subject i would place this fish in a tank on its own,from what i do know about cichlids i think they are best kept either alone or with other equal sized cichlids from the same region ie rift vallies with rift vallies and central americans with central americans,as i dont know too much about cichlids i wont sugest a tank size or possible tankmates

The hillstream loach i dont think belongs in any of these tanks,i dont know how big these fish already are but in time the loach will be seen as a food item.

good input Cat fish crazy, we were both thinking alike as far as the large tanks go.
The only thing that I am not sure of is if the Ctenopoma will be ok with the bichirs. I am pretty sure that the african butterfly would not be able to go with the bichirs, he'd get tore up!
Thanks for the replies so far, anyone else want to throw in some ideas?

The ctenopoma and butterfly should be fine with the bichirs,bichirs arent really that aggressive and have very bad eyesight,they get their food more by smell,also they tend to swallow prey whole rather than bite off chunks and both the ctenopoma and butterfly will get too large to swallow.I keep my bichirs in with small (but not mouth size) non aggressive fish and they have never harmed anything.

I've never had bison. However, I love venison. I hunt up in East Texas, near Livingston. It's so great going up there. Here we don't have any hills or forests or anything! But there, oh my! It's beautiful. I was born and raised in Livingston, and love going back. We have a year-round lease, so we can hunt ducks, deer, and hogs. I also plan on hunting game birds this year, but haven't in the past. Hunting is soooo relaxing.

I thank everyone for there replies, I just bought a house yesterday, I close on May 30th!! The first thing I will do is set up some tanks too cycle! I can't wait!

i knew a guy once who had a whole tank full of zebra plecos. He had a proper landscape ifrocks and everything. Probably one of the most beautiful sites i've ever seen. Obviously you got to have loads of £ or $ to do that!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back