1 pleco
6 julii cory
2 pearl gourami
1 angelfish
5/6 rainbow fish
1 aquatic frog

Would this work or would it be overstocking? Other suggestions are welcome

i think that would be good  minus the angel fish and depends what pleco
and personally id swap the guppies for a few more neons... i would also consider getting cardinals instead of neons

The pleco I'm considering rehoming and getting shrimp they a little more interesting. Not sure which angelfish yet as I'd need to see what the lfs has in. What kind would you recommend?

Sorry miss read. Why wouldn't you go for the angelfish? Because of the school of rainbows?

What are the dimensions of the tank? Angels do best in tall tanks but you want it to be 18 inches tall at least.

I would swap the Blue Ram for a Bolivian Ram and go for at least 2 or preferably 4 as they are quite social fish. Blue Rams can be very hard to keep and is down to the parentage of the fish which is often impossible to know from a shop bought fish. Where as Bolivian Rams are more flexible with their water needs.

What type of Rainbow Fish did you have in mind? I would go for Dwarf Neons as they are the most suitable - only one suitable really.

And then for the Aquatic Frog make sure it is an African Dwarf Frog not the Clawed Frogs or the Albino Clawed as they will eat the fish.

Also what kind of Pleco? You want to avoid the common ones but things like Bristlenoses and Rubber Lips would work well.

Depending on dimensions I would look at something like this

2 Angel Fish or 2 Pearl Gourami  -   need to be careful with Angels and Gourami as they can fight pretty viciously as they are both territorial upper water dwellers
4 Bolivian Rams
5 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
5 Neon Tetra
2 Guppies
1 Rubber Lip Pleco
6 Juli Cories
4 African Dwarf Frog

Wills

I don't think the neons would be happy in a group of just 5! And I agree with Reddsam about rather getting Cardinal Tetras instead of neons. Remember that Tetras do better in larger numbers!

The tank size is 84x44x58cm (22x17x23 aprox) I've already got

2 guppies
1 blue ram
1 common plec (beginners mistake)
5 neons
3 julii cory (defo upping to 6)
2 pearl gourami

So it's the following I would like

1 angelfish
5/6 Boesemani Rainbows (which may be too many plus unsure if LFS stock them)
1 aquatic frog (only one they stock)

I'm very much thinking of rehoming the plec and replacing him with shrimp

I would recommend against the angel as they do prey on neons, and they get far bigger than your tank can realistically hold.

I'd also recommend not putting a frog with fish. If you really want a frog get a 3 -5 gallon tank for the frog by himself.

Finally, rainbow fish are very active swimmers and best in longer tanks.

You best bet would be more neons, more cories, and maybe some more guppies.

Miller2009 said:
The tank size is 84x44x58cm (22x17x23 aprox) I've already got

2 guppies
1 blue ram
1 common plec (beginners mistake)
5 neons
3 julii cory (defo upping to 6)
2 pearl gourami

So it's the following I would like

1 angelfish
5/6 Boesemani Rainbows (which may be too many plus unsure if LFS stock them)
1 aquatic frog (only one they stock)

I'm very much thinking of rehoming the plec and replacing him with shrimp
For the sake of the fish, you need to decide on either rehoming or getting a 6-foot tank for your "common plec" and IMO this needs to be done before the fish hits 10cm (which at best is ~33% of its 30cm adult size, depending upon species it could be a lot closer to 16% of its 60cm adult size).

Excluding the unsuitable plec, you currently have ~90cm of adult fish, on the basis you are upping the Corydoras julii group to 6. However, even then, there are compatability issues...
German Blue Rams are "high end tropical" cichlids that need at least ~27C, which will not be good for several of your fish (the Pearl Gourami are the only species that is fine, others would need to be replaced with the likes of Cardinal tetra; Corydoras sterbai). Bolivian Rams are far more "mainstream tropical" and do fine at ~24C, which is fine for your other fish.
Are the catfish really the rare julii and not the commonly missold trilineatus? The latter are "temperate" corydoras (~16-24C in a heaterless tank that changes temp with the seasons), just like Peppered, the former are "mainstream tropical" but you are unlikely (not impossible) to have them.
Neon Tetras will not do well is high end tropical temps, they are typically swapped for Cardinals above ~25C.

Your "wishlist" are not good choices for your current tank...
Angelfish will eat your smaller fish and the tank is a bit cramped even though I presume it is 58cm tall.
Bosemani Rainbowfish need far more room, at least 120x30x30cm, but ideally bigger.
Frogs are not good at competing for food, always a risk mixing them in "busy" tanks.

90cm of fish in a 165l (your tank dimensions need rechecking to levels the water is filled, 84x44x58cm suggests 214l) is towards the upper limit. If your tank was suitably stocked (which it is not IMO) I would say just gradually boost social fish numbers to 8 max and then called the tank heavily stocked.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back