How To Undo A Partition

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

chishnfips

WHAT! You went over my Helmet!
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Right I bought an Acer PC last year its got a 320gb hard drive. Anyway, just the other day I kept getting messages saying the the D drive was full. I am not that techy when it comes to computers...

Anyway I managed to figure out that the PC came with a partitioned hard drive, so I get 140gb on the C drive and 140 GB on he D drive and the rest I presume is taking up with hidden files and whatever else a PC needs to run.

So I looked into the D drive and its all for backups. Now I dont want these back ups its just chewing up space and I can back up anything I need on to DVDs if I want. So my question is how do I undo the partition and give the C drive the full 280gb? And how do I turn off the automatic backing up?

I manged to bin the last back up which was 90gb but somewhere in that D drive there is other info that I cant see which takes up the rest...

Its a total pain in the hoop can anyone give me any tips?

I have tried googling it but I could do with a simple laymans step by step guide, on, if I can do it and how.

Over to you, technodudes.

cheers chish.

Not too sure, last time I messed around with partitions I was formatting hard drive, but I know on Windows 7 there is supposed to be a partition manager. Have a look and there may be some help in that section.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that you can't change partitions without formatting the drive and losing all your stuff.

As for the backups, you'll need to figure out what program it is that's making them. If you go into Control Panel, recent versions of Windows have a Backup feature, and it may be this that's running it. If not, try opening Task Manager and seeing if there's anything running that looks like it might be making backups.

I use OS X (macs) but I don't think it's possible to partition the drive unless you are running your computer on an external drive. When you partition a drive it will delete EVERYTHING. That includes the Operating system. It's impossible for a computer to delete itself. So you can clone your HD onto a external HD and boot form there or take the MUCH simpler way and:

Make sure everything that needs to be saved is saved on either a DVD or something
Put the windows 7 disk into the computer and when you boot the computer hit F12
It will ask you how you want to boot, tell it disk drive
Then go through to your HD manager "probably dubbed something like disk diagnostics..."
Hit "partition drive" and pick only "1 partition". It will wipe the HD and then you just reinstall your operating system after rebooting.

It's really easy to do and will make your PC MUCH faster. I'm surprised I even remember how to do this, lol. Considering my new OS was downloaded via the Mac App store and will let me do this without needing a disk!

Why does a fish forum have a computer section?

Well I guess that would make sense but to access the forum to get help with your computer problems you need a working computer :cool: lol I bet I confused you

Unless your using a tablet or a phone. Just because you can access the internet does not mean that your computer is functionally at it's full capacity nor does that mean that there isn't anything wrong with it. I am not confused.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/merge-partition.html

Don't need to format or clone anything

also partitions make little difference to speed

(its always best to have the OS on a small partition rather than a massive one)

It does have to do with speed because the HD has more info to sort through when locating things if there are more things located on the drive. Also, when I mentioned speed it was because he'd be doing a clean install of the OS which will speed your computer up.

It does have to do with speed because the HD has more info to sort through when locating things if there are more things located on the drive. Also, when I mentioned speed it was because he'd be doing a clean install of the OS which will speed your computer up.
if the os is partition 1 of 2 on one hdd it will be much faster as the os will not have to trawl through many gb of data hence when i said

If you maintain your pc properly you should not have any slow downs after 6 month to a year of an os install

The OP said he bought it last year. So it might be up to 2 years old. I've noticed that Windows (mostly Vista) slows down after being installed for a while. The OS does fragment over time, even if you defrag frequently.

Hi Guys thanks for the info.

Kribensis: I bought the PC from a Catalogue and it came with the OS (windows 7) already installed so I don't have an OS disc. Will it be somewhere on my PC so I can burn it do you think?

Walkers thanks for that info, it sounds too easy to be true lol, Are you sure that wont erase any info from my PC?

:good:

All you will have is a restore partition you won't have the dvd on your hard drive

I can't voucher for that partition software myself as I have not used it but I can't see why it wouldn't be able to do it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back