How To Tell When A Platy Will Give Birth?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stephentw

Reaction score
I've got a pair of red platies, male and female, the female keeps bloating up like she's pregnant then gets thinner again as though she's gave birth but I've yet to see any fry anywhere. Are they just getting eaten before I get chance or is there another reason for her bloated look?

Whoever said pinning an article is like putting a 'Do-Not-Read' sign on it was right.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/253113-how-do-you-know-if-your-livebearers-ready-to-drop-fry/

how long do these bloating periods last? does she get a gravid spot during them? does her behaviour change? does she go squarish at the end of her bloatings?

She's always got a sort of white spot area yes. Never noticed her go square though. The bloating periods seem to last a fair while, can't say I've ever counted. I'll read the sticky, didn't see it.

Welcome Stephen.
The link back to 5teady's thread on how to tell your livebearer is getting close is quite a good one. I also put together a thread to show how you might see the shape of a molly change over time between drops. If you are not familiar with what we mean by squaring up, the pictures there should give you the concept. The link to my thread is called My Molly's Progress in the links from my signature.

My platy has been doing the same thing...She was huge and I posted a picture. Everyone said she was going to drop soon, but then she didn't? Or at least, as far as I could tell...and she got thinner. Now she's even bigger than before and she looks pretty square. I think she may have been stressed because she's in a community tank, but when I tried moving her to a birthing tank, I think it stressed her even more. Anyway, your platy might be stressed out and absorbing her young...or the other fish may be eating them. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back