How to tell gender of baby mollies?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Raechal

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I feed my dalmation molly fry about 2-3 times a day with crushed flakes and crushed brine shrimp pellets. They are about 3/4 of an inch now and are about 5-6 weeks old. Some of them are fatter than the others. Is this because they are just little pigs or can they be pregnant already?

I can't tell the genders because they are so small so I am wondering is there anyway I can tell their gender when they are so young?

Some of them are developing orange markings under their belly kind of where the "gravid" spot would be, but since they are dalmation with black spots, I can't tell if it is a gravid spot or a spot. :dunno:

I never noticed the orange markings before until today. It is just like a couple orange spots on the belly that come all together to make one big spot if that makes any sense. I think it is on two of my baby mollies and they are rather large in the belly. Could this mean babies already?! Or is it just some more coloration coming in? The mom is dalmation but I have no idea who the father is since she was pregnant when I brought her home from the LPS. They kept her in with all different colors of mollies, platies, and cories. So maybe the father was orange and they will have orange in them as well?

Someone please help me. If pictures would help I'll glady take a few although they might not come out very well.

My camera isn't that good and they get spooked by every movement so here are some pics:
fishpics040.jpg

at about 5-6 weeks it is possible that the dalmation mollies are sexually mature. It is possible for them to get pregnant at that age but she wouldnt have many fry. I have dalmation mollies that are the same age and they are fat. Their mom has a few orange spots so it is just the coloration. If you could it would help if you posted a few pics

mrplaty said:
at about 5-6 weeks it is possible that the dalmation mollies are sexually mature. It is possible for them to get pregnant at that age but she wouldnt have many fry. I have dalmation mollies that are the same age and they are fat. Their mom has a few orange spots so it is just the coloration. If you could it would help if you posted a few pics
The mom has no orange markings at all she is 100% black and white. :p I am hoping they will get more orange as they get older, I think that would be so pretty. I will take some pics later tonight as my mom is using the digital camera right now. Thanks for the info. :thumbs:

hi raechal, in my experiences with mollies it is next to near impossible to tell the

gender of the fry,because they can change sex i know i have 3 mollies that ive

had from babies and they are about 6 months old now, and just a few months ago

i had three little girls now i have a boy and two girls. They are about an inch

maybe a little more now. its possible that i had slow growers maybe yours are

growing faster than mine did,i hope this helps you. :D

p.s. if you can post a picture of the fry that would be great, i could get a better idea and maybe help you more :nod:

tank212 said:
hi raechal, in my experiences with mollies it is next to near impossible to tell the

gender of the fry,because they can change sex i know i have 3 mollies that ive

had from babies and they are about 6 months old now, and just a few months ago

i had three little girls now i have a boy and two girls. They are about an inch

maybe a little more now. its possible that i had slow growers maybe yours are

growing faster than mine did,i hope this helps you. :D

p.s. if you can post a picture of the fry that would be great, i could get a better idea and maybe help you more :nod:
It is hard to even see their fins since they are translucent. I think mine are growing rather fast because I feed them all the time. :wub: They just look so cute when they eat. :D I will try to get some pics soon.

Mollies are sexually dimorphic - which means u can visibly differentiate males from females. Males have a rod like organ called a gonopodium situated on the lower belly area and is a modification of the anal fin.
The female, as well as young MALES that " have not " yet developed sexually, have a regular anal fin.
This would explain tank 212 experiance. ;)

In my Rio 240 ive over 100 mollie fry from 3 batches , the first batch was born on the 2nd of Jan 2005 so that makes them the oldest out of the 3 batches. All the fins are either translucent or have a slight amount of colour but none of them are old / big enough to start telling males from female. Only time will tell. As for having orange spots, their probably from the male as u said the mum is a dalmation. Sounds like some of your babies are just a bit porky and have some cool orange markings comming thro. Just keep an eye out for what i mentiond in the reply before and you'll soon under stand . Good luck! ;)

Yea I will end up just putting all of the mollies together in the 29 gallon and just let them have babies in there if they decide to. :nod:

they are still tiny maybe when they double in size it will be easier for you.
they look in great shape :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back