How To Sex Corydoras?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joselaz5780

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
How do i tell if a cory catfish is a boy or girl? doe sit go by what type of catfish they are, or do they all have the same differences? Can a bronze corydora mate with an albino? Please help me i would like to mate my corydoras, specially an albino with a bronze one. Are they hard to mate, will platies eat their babies?

Most (but not all) albino corydoras that you seen in shops are an albino form of the bronze cory Corydoras aeneus, so yes, they will breed together, but all the babies will probably be bronze; the gene for albino is recessive (so will be 'hidden' by the gene for the bronze colour).

There are easy to breed, but platies will eat the fry if they can get them in their mouths! A separate breeding tank is always best really.

Oh, forgot to say; it's quite hard to sex cories; if you look at them from above the females will be fatter just behind the gills than the males, and may well be bigger overall; they group spawn anyway, so you'd want two or three males to three or four (or five or six!) females.

Male corydoras are generally smaller and slimmer, females are larger and rounder, true for all cories. It takes a while of observing them every day and getting to know them and then it gets fairly easy to sex them.

so how can i tell if it's boy or girl in the shop, i've tried looking at them from the top, but they wont let me :/

It's usually fairly difficult in the shop because they're generally very young. If they're all the same age and mature, the boys will be smaller and slimmer. Best bet is to get a good number of them and then odds are you'll have both sexes.
wahey.gif

yeah mine are pretty small since i just got them 4 days ago and you can barely tell, though i think i got 1 female

is there a way of knowing through the fin size?

Hi joselaz5780 :)

Yes, there is, but it's not very easy to do. You will want to compare their ventral fins. The female will have larger round ones, while the male has smaller and more pointy ones. Here are a couple of pictures that will show the female using them to carry eggs.

2 Carrying eggs.jpg

7 Carrying eggs 2.jpg

i find it lot easier than looking at them from the top! i saw your fish room pics and you have so many tanks :) i wish i was allowed to have that many lol i can only have 1 of 10 gallons and 1 of 25 gallons, but it's still good, i think i have a female on my hands :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back