how to repair a tank seam

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have moldy silicon all along all 4 corners of the inside of the tank. I had the tank given to me and I would like to put use to it. I want to re-do the siliconing but i am going into this blind, I have not done this before. Do i just need to scrape the inner layer out and put new stuff in..without breaking apart the panels of glass. There are no cracks or breaks whats-so-ever, just moldy silicon.

I have moldy silicon all along all 4 corners of the inside of the tank. I had the tank given to me and I would like to put use to it. I want to re-do the siliconing but i am going into this blind, I have not done this before. Do i just need to scrape the inner layer out and put new stuff in..without breaking apart the panels of glass. There are no cracks or breaks whats-so-ever, just moldy silicon.

yep thats it! if you want to go the whole hog, and rebuild your tank, ok. but this will do the job if you have no leaks after you have taken out the old silicone. fill the tank half way with tap water, if it has no leaks, empty it dry it re silicone the seal and off you go.

urgent ===i have a 75 gallon tall tank and i resealed it tested it and it was perfect. i put it in place and filled it with water i left it alone for 2 days and one night it started to leak in a corner first a little squirt and then started to spray like crazy. i empyed it and wondering if i need to reseal it again. it looks like the bottom corner has a big chip in it. if i reseal it and add a lot of silicone to that corner will it hold???

Layers of goop in a bad corner will not ever give the strength of a proper repair, with new glass, as needed SunshineLoft.

I have a leaker at present and will be taking it apart completely to reseal it. I got it as a used tank from a club auction, at a nearby club, for next to no cost. I will try to get enough pictures to give a full account of the process. I have only done this once before, about 20 years ago, so we will see how it goes. That time I intentionally bought a 55 gallon tank that had a broken front glass. If it works out, I will post the pictures and probably write an article for my club newsletter. In my club, I seem to be the DIY "expert". In this case expert is defined as anyone willing to try to fix things instead of just buying new. If I wasn't so cheap, someone else would be the DIY expert.

hi i resealed my tank in the ways mentioned above the only difference was i found that vinegar wasnt very good at removing the residue so i got some rubbing alcohol from ebay it removed every last trace and because it evaporates it leaves no residue behind on the glass.
dude you have a GORGEOUS plant tank. Saw it in the pic in your signature.

You bought rubbing alcohol on ebay? Why can't you get it from a general store or something, do they not sell it in your area? Because it's fairly common here, they're found in pharmacies, some supermarkets and grocery stores.

I have a 95 gallon tank that seems to have a slight leak (drips appear at one corner). I am about to swap the big fish for smaller ones, so it should be pretty empty and a golden opportunity to look into it. I was planning to just dry it out put sealant over all seams at the bottom (the water doesn't seem to be running down) then let it dry and restock. Is there a better way to go about it, the tank is too heavy to lift and look under.

hi i resealed my tank in the ways mentioned above the only difference was i found that vinegar wasnt very good at removing the residue so i got some rubbing alcohol from ebay it removed every last trace and because it evaporates it leaves no residue behind on the glass.

amazing i must appriciate your work and say please guide me how i make this......becuase i m new here and start and love learnig ...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back