How To Raise Copepod

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bambam

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok i just read the forum about the mandarin dragonet and became very interested in them.... i have the tank and hopefully enough experience (well after i learn about this i should have enough) so i can eventually have my own dragonet....

how do you encourage growth or make copepod mate/exist in your tank

Lots of cured live rock and a large tank will hope alot. Not sure on the reproduction of them.

is there anyway to help promote them...... to ensure there are lots and methods or tricks?

for the record im using a 65 gal tank and i have 118lbs of LR so i should have enough but i havent really seen any in my tank

you would need a reugium, since in ur tank other fish are probably eating them, or setup another small tank with some pods and give them phyto then take em outta there to feed the mandarin

well after reading through my post i was quite insulted when people where saying that i did not read up about the manderin because i did. o and btw you ca keep a manderinin an 8 gall providing special care mine is a 14gal i know this is still small but so is the manderin. well afterreading throughpeoples posts and reaserching i decided to create a rock pile so the isopods wil not be harmed unti they come out at night. i also creasted my own refugium by getting a breeding trap and putting a fair amount of live rock in it. here the isopods will be safe and will repoduce and they will be able to fit through the gaps to get into the tank. i hope it works haha.
good luck with your draggonete they realy are facinating creatures

you need atleast a fivegallon fuge to suport enough pods for a mandarin, black molly did you see the mandarin eat at the store, the biocube only has about 8 gallons space wise for the fish which will eventually be too small, a fish starving isnt really something to be laughing about

well after reading through my post i was quite insulted when people where saying that i did not read up about the manderin because i did. o and btw you ca keep a manderinin an 8 gall providing special care mine is a 14gal i know this is still small but so is the manderin. well afterreading throughpeoples posts and reaserching i decided to create a rock pile so the isopods wil not be harmed unti they come out at night. i also creasted my own refugium by getting a breeding trap and putting a fair amount of live rock in it. here the isopods will be safe and will repoduce and they will be able to fit through the gaps to get into the tank. i hope it works haha.
good luck with your draggonete they realy are facinating creatures

It doesn't matter if the mandarin is small, they still eat a lot of pods. Besides, you haven't even had it for a week. It takes a long time for a fish to starve. We're talking months, here. Unless you get that mandarin to eat something more nutritious than brine shrimp, or buy bottled copepods every week or two, it WILL starve. I know you're trying to keep it alive, but it's a little late for the pod piles.

how much are bottled podds. if that s the case then i will jst buy 3-4 botles a week. no i never seen it eat at the store.
any more comments welcome
and im not laughing at the fsh srtarving.
i just turned the lights off and waited 5 mins for the copods to come out and i counted more than 30 running very fast that should do hum until saturday.

bottled live copepods are pretty expensive. They're like 9.99 at my lfs for a small bottle (250 ml)

how much are bottled podds. if that s the case then i will jst buy 3-4 botles a week. no i never seen it eat at the store.
any more comments welcome
and im not laughing at the fsh srtarving.
i just turned the lights off and waited 5 mins for the copods to come out and i counted more than 30 running very fast that should do hum until saturday.

LOL you actually managed to count them did you bet you can count the bubbles in a glass of lemonade to. Just listen for once will ya and stop rushing into things. Take your mandarin back and get a fish that you can house in your tank you will never be able to feed the mandarin properly no matter what you do unless your gonna spend £30 a week on live food thats if you can find them, and if you was gonna do that why not get a much bigger tank and house it properly.

yep i did manage to count them actualy about 30 of them running into little holes in the rock. and no i cant count lemmonade bubbles. what a stupid yet pointless question :lol: :fun:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back