How To Protect My Tank From Paint Fumes?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tropicalwaters

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what I can do to protect my tank from the fumes released during painting? The first floor is being painted and the tank is in the second floor, i knew someone who's tank crashed when he painted his house, turns out it was because of the fumes. Let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks!

well if it has a lid i dont think there is out else you can do apart from leave all the windows open and try to get good airiation in the room gloss will be the worst for the fumes :good:

if it is a water based paint you won't have as much trouble. Turps based paints are really bad for you and the fish.
If you have a power filter then leave that running but turn off any airpumps if you can. Obviously if you have the air pump running the filter then leave it running.
Coverglass will help prevent most fumes getting in.
And if you have the doors shut on the rooms being painted then the fumes shouldn't get near the tank.
If you have to paint in the room with the fish tank in, then open a window and have a fan on. We recently painted the inside of our house (using water based paints) and the fish were fine even tho they were in the room being painted. We did have the air conditioner on which sucked in air from outside and helped to blow the fumes out an open window. Probably a bit hard to do in a unit or in New York during winter.

You can also add carbon to the filter and it will help remove chemicals from the water. Try to get "Activated Carbon" rather than normal carbon.

The tank does not have a lid because i have the sunpod ligthing over it so the water is exposed to some air. I am not too sure about the paint being used, but i now that the wall is being primed with some sort of stuff. I will have to call me painters and ask. THe tank is in the middle of the loft, but the loft overlooks the first floor, which is what is being painted. I will look for that carbon, any suggestions on which one is the best? thanks

I use Wardleys Activated Carbon but any brand of activated carbon will be fine.

The stuff going on the wall before the paint (primer) is usually a sealant. They quit often smell really bad and can cause headaches. When that has dried they then apply the coloured paint.

If the room doesn't smell too bad for you, then it probably won't be a problem for the fish. If the fumes give you a headache then they will cause problems to the fish.

Yeah, good words when the painters describe it:
Water based
Latex
Enamel

Bad words:
Oil based
Varnish

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back