How To Make A Diy Breeding Rack/tank Display Stand.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey all. Here I have a mini guide about my DIY tank stands and racks.

I also have some questions at the end I would like you to answer, I need some help.

Ok, so I found this tutorial by a person on youtube named Aquarium Co op and these are by far the easiest tank stands to set up and build.

It cost me about  $15 total. I bought six cinderblocks, and 3 long planks of wood. That's it. Put them on top of eachother and they hold tanks!! I will post pictures obviously. If you want a nicer one, you can do what I did twice and double it, put a curtain or something around the sides and top and it will make a really nice tank display stand. Here are my pictures:  http://imgur.com/a/5X4sr

Also, for my question. On the right side I have a empty space. I set this up because I want to breed some rainbowfish, guppies, swordtails, mollies, endlers, etc. Most livebeareres with some small exceptions like the rainbowfish, maybe GBR's, and for sure shrimp. My dilema is that I don't have space for a bunch of 10 gallons. Now obviously I could make more or make another level but I don't want to. I can fit a whole lot of 10 gallon tanks underneath the stand but I don't really think that gives me enough room. I've uploaded pictures; after seeing them, would you agree? I can reach my net in to net out fish but there isn't much visiability. I'll wait a day and maybe it will change as the water was stirred up.

As for the spot on the right: It's 22 inches long, and 16 inches deep (front to back). What combination of tank(s) could I put there to max out the space? I really want like a 10 gallon for each species/strain. I could just put my guppies all into a giant tub or tank I have but I want to work on strains individually, so I would like a 10 gallon for each strain AND species. 

Bottom line:

Would you think it's ok to have lots of the 10 gallons lined up lengthwise?

What tank(s) combinations would you recommend for the space on the right?? 

Thanks.

http://imgur.com/a/5X4sr

I think to make the most of that you will need to standardise the tank sizes. The tank you have on the right is the 10gal? If so it looks like you could fit about 8 of these endways on which would be a better use of space. You could add another layer of blocks underneath and put your other 2 tanks down there. You may even want to use one as a sump which would save buying lots of heaters and filters. I doubt they would be big enough for mollies, swords and rainbows though.

I wouldn't be using the 10 gallons for the big fish. If I only used 10 gallons I would ONLY be able to put 6 tanks up there. I actually just put the 10 gallons under neath the rack and I have lots of room for more 10 gallons. That's what I will do. I can put about 10 10 gallons underneath on one side and have the larger growout tanks on top. Sounds good to me. Also, about the sump situation. I agree it does sound better, but how would I go about that? I Can NOT drill holes in any of the tanks.

I do agree I already am almost out of power space. I am using bubble filters for all of my tanks, but still I would like to use a sump and keep the 10 gallons on a loop.
I will leave the larger tanks out of the loop, and there is where I will breed the bigger fish. For rainbows I onl;y have boesemanis and rainbows.

Any other suggestions on fish I could keep/breed in these tanks? I'll do my research before jumping out to other species.

cooledwhip said:
I wouldn't be using the 10 gallons for the big fish. If I only used 10 gallons I would ONLY be able to put 6 tanks up there. I actually just put the 10 gallons under neath the rack and I have lots of room for more 10 gallons. That's what I will do. I can put about 10 10 gallons underneath on one side and have the larger growout tanks on top. Sounds good to me. Also, about the sump situation. I agree it does sound better, but how would I go about that? I Can NOT drill holes in any of the tanks.

I have never used a sump and I don't know if it could be done without drilling tanks. Need to look into that.

I do agree I already am almost out of power space. I am using bubble filters for all of my tanks, but still I would like to use a sump and keep the 10 gallons on a loop.
I will leave the larger tanks out of the loop, and there is where I will breed the bigger fish. For rainbows I onl;y have boesemanis and rainbows.

Any other suggestions on fish I could keep/breed in these tanks? I'll do my research before jumping out to other species.

Any of the small tetras would do fine, or corys. Some unusual small fish that would breed in that size could be Peacock gudgeon, or some of the Badis group, but I'd make sure you had an outlet first for whatever you choose. When I kept larger cichlids I was forever feeding fry to other fish. I hated to do it but there was no option.

My plan is to set up a rack of 18*12 or 24*12 to breed corys. I'd hope to fit in 8-10 small tanks and maybe a couple of 4ft tanks.

Munroco said:

I have never used a sump and I don't know if it could be done without drilling tanks. Need to look into that.

Any of the small tetras would do fine, or corys. Some unusual small fish that would breed in that size could be Peacock gudgeon, or some of the Badis group, but I'd make sure you had an outlet first for whatever you choose. When I kept larger cichlids I was forever feeding fry to other fish. I hated to do it but there was no option.

My plan is to set up a rack of 18*12 or 24*12 to breed corys. I'd hope to fit in 8-10 small tanks and maybe a couple of 4ft tanks.

Is breeding cories hard? I would like to breed cories. 

I might put some sand in the tank to breed cories. I could put sand in the 20, the 30 bowfront, or a 10 gallon. 

God theres just so many possibilities with this hobby. I love it. Which tank to put what in, where I could put this tank, yada yada yada.

Why would you only breed a single species of fish within those 8-10 tanks? Like I said I want to breed cories soon. Actually Friday I placed an order for green corycats. Really cool species. 

I'd use 1 tank per species for cories. You can bring up all the young together. You could also put shrimp in with them as they don't really add much to bio load. Corys aren't that hard as long as they are happy and well fed. Live foods to get them in condition helps. They love worms

Cool. I plan on using sponge filters for every tank. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back