How To Lower Current In Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppyGirl20

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I am planning on taking a bit of pantyhose to put over the intake tube to prevent the fins if betta getting stuck when it gets older. Will that slow the current in the tank? I want to slow it just a tad because at the top of the tank it's a little rough. I've heard about the sponges you can put over the intake tube but I would to not have to wash that little sponge all the time. Any tips on how to slow the current is appreciated.

Pantyhose will need a lot more washing than a sponge would, as it's much finer. A largish, coarse sponge will probably only need washing once or twice a week, and it only takes a couple of minutes. If you wash it in old tank water, it will add to your filtration system as well.

You can turn the filter to face the side or back of the tank and/or add a spray bar, that will help slow the flow down
smile.png

Depends on what kind of filter you have.

I have aquaclear filters on all of my tanks and to reduce the flow I have 

To reduce my flow, I have purchased the aquaclear 20 impeller and replaced the one in my aquaclear 50, they fit perfectly, just puts out less flow.

Some people will also do this:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

My tank is a hexagon tank (model pl-te 5hx) so I cant move the intake tube and I didnt understand the water bottle thing :/

I started a thread awhile ago about baffling the filter for my Betta.  People responded with a  video about how to make the water bottle baffle and eduller posted a diagram about reducing the flow even more with a sponge added to the water bottle .  I followed her directions and the baffle I made is working perfectly in Javier's 5.5 gallon tank.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/431859-baffle-for-filter/

Thanks. I'll check the video out when I get on my computer later.

:/ I don't think this will work for my filter. Here of some pics of how it is set up and if someone can confirm that it will or will not work that would be great.
I can't wrap the plastic bottle around anything because that bar thing is in the way, It has those two little squares the water comes out of (and yes the tank has to be filled to that point or the intake doesn't take the right amount).
securedownload-3.jpeg

This is what the inside looks like
securedownload1-1.jpeg

And here's a bit of a close up just so you can see better where the water comes out.
securedownload2-1.jpeg

Just had an idea while googling different baffles. Would sticking a sponge in/on the hole that the water comes out off after going through the intake tube work? 

Yes I was going to suggest sticking a sponge into the hole.

Most reactions

Back