How To Keep A Tank With No Heater Warm

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

xtenrou

Reaction score
Say the heater in your tank broke, you didn't have a spare and it was too late to go out and buy a new one.

How would you keep the tank warm?

I'm going through a problem thats sort of similar. I have a small hospital tank with a sick fish in but I don't ahve a spare heater for it as I couldn't afford to buy and extra one. It's sat as close to the working big tanks heater as I could. It has two bottles full of hot water stood by it along with a hot water bottle and is covered by a towel. Do you think thats ok?
And how will I keep it warm throughout the night?

I would stand the bottles (assuming they're fizzy drink bottles; make sure you've removed the lables) actually in the tank.

Apart from that, just do what you're doing.

Oh, and get a spare heater as soon as you can afford one; it's something no tropical fishkeeper should be without.

Say the heater in your tank broke, you didn't have a spare and it was too late to go out and buy a new one.

How would you keep the tank warm?

I'm going through a problem thats sort of similar. I have a small hospital tank with a sick fish in but I don't ahve a spare heater for it as I couldn't afford to buy and extra one. It's sat as close to the working big tanks heater as I could. It has two bottles full of hot water stood by it along with a hot water bottle and is covered by a towel. Do you think thats ok?
And how will I keep it warm throughout the night?
Do you have any heating appliances in the house? Because I do but I lack an aquarium heater. The heater of the house makes good enough heat to hold their temp stable. Though it's about 18 C when it's really cold in the house. I have an aquatic heater but I am afraid that it is not safe enough and I don't want to shock the fish...

What about leaving the light on? I bought a 3 gallon for my first tank and didn't even think about getting a heater, so until I could get a heater I would leave a lamp on during the night right above the tank and it kept the tank at a steady 74 degrees f

What about leaving the light on? I bought a 3 gallon for my first tank and didn't even think about getting a heater, so until I could get a heater I would leave a lamp on during the night right above the tank and it kept the tank at a steady 74 degrees f
That used to be my method of heating my turtle's pond but since she doesn't want to stay in the water either way, I gave up.
Lamp with a normal light bulb? Might risk getting water on it if you have fish that splash often. Unless you mean keeping it next to the aquarium, but I don't know if that's a good thing.

It was next to the aquarium but the aquarium had a lid... let's be honest I was naive.... but it worked... also I made sure the lamp shade never got hot and it didn't... so that was good

It was next to the aquarium but the aquarium had a lid... let's be honest I was naive.... but it worked... also I made sure the lamp shade never got hot and it didn't... so that was good
Well, good idea, but weren't the fish bothered by the light?
I like the house heater cause it's spreading heat and doesn't scare fish. Though it can't keep it too high temp, I wonder if an internal heater would carry the risk of raising bacteria that could be harmful... I mean even my turtle pond started to get a somewhat stinky smell faster than usual when I put the heater there, thus having to change water a lot (sometimes even 2-3 times a day after turtle ate). I gave up on the heater in her pond because she just doesn't want to stay in during winter anyway. Doesn't eat until March.

Well I don't have control over the heat since its my school and turtles are notorious for being gross smelling and dirty

Well I don't have control over the heat since its my school and turtles are notorious for being gross smelling and dirty
Then yeah, good idea with the light.
I don't know, my turtle doesn't smell (though I bathe her and clean her shell too with a toothbrush and she seems to like it), but the water may start to smell once she leaves it. Every time she enters, I give her food (she only accepts baked/grilled/boiled chicken or cooked fish, dislikes raw fish and doesn't like shrimp but she used to eat that stuff before). In before I get eaten alive for mentioning what I feed her... X_X

Then she goes out, I get to throw away the water again and put new one in case she wants to go back in.

we had a power cut once and in panic i floated a hot water bottle, it did work, thankfully the electric wasnt out for long, but i do have a emergency spare heater incase mine breaks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back