Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How To Keep A Tank With No Heater Warm

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish Emergencies' started by xtenrou, Feb 11, 2012.

1. xtenrou

xtenrou Member

Say the heater in your tank broke, you didn't have a spare and it was too late to go out and buy a new one.

How would you keep the tank warm?

I'm going through a problem thats sort of similar. I have a small hospital tank with a sick fish in but I don't ahve a spare heater for it as I couldn't afford to buy and extra one. It's sat as close to the working big tanks heater as I could. It has two bottles full of hot water stood by it along with a hot water bottle and is covered by a towel. Do you think thats ok?
    And how will I keep it warm throughout the night?

2. bristlenoseitplecoman

Turn up the heat in the house and put a blanket around the tank.

3. fluttermoth

fluttermoth The current Mrs Treguard ;)
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

I would stand the bottles (assuming they're fizzy drink bottles; make sure you've removed the lables) actually in the tank.

Apart from that, just do what you're doing.

Oh, and get a spare heater as soon as you can afford one; it's something no tropical fishkeeper should be without.

4. FishBlast

FishBlast Tiny fish

Do you have any heating appliances in the house? Because I do but I lack an aquarium heater. The heater of the house makes good enough heat to hold their temp stable. Though it's about 18 C when it's really cold in the house. I have an aquatic heater but I am afraid that it is not safe enough and I don't want to shock the fish...

5. AshP1986

AshP1986 Member

What about leaving the light on? I bought a 3 gallon for my first tank and didn't even think about getting a heater, so until I could get a heater I would leave a lamp on during the night right above the tank and it kept the tank at a steady 74 degrees f

6. FishBlast

FishBlast Tiny fish

That used to be my method of heating my turtle's pond but since she doesn't want to stay in the water either way, I gave up.
    Lamp with a normal light bulb? Might risk getting water on it if you have fish that splash often. Unless you mean keeping it next to the aquarium, but I don't know if that's a good thing.

7. AshP1986

AshP1986 Member

It was next to the aquarium but the aquarium had a lid... let's be honest I was naive.... but it worked... also I made sure the lamp shade never got hot and it didn't... so that was good

8. FishBlast

FishBlast Tiny fish

Well, good idea, but weren't the fish bothered by the light?
    I like the house heater cause it's spreading heat and doesn't scare fish. Though it can't keep it too high temp, I wonder if an internal heater would carry the risk of raising bacteria that could be harmful... I mean even my turtle pond started to get a somewhat stinky smell faster than usual when I put the heater there, thus having to change water a lot (sometimes even 2-3 times a day after turtle ate). I gave up on the heater in her pond because she just doesn't want to stay in during winter anyway. Doesn't eat until March.

9. AshP1986

AshP1986 Member

Well I don't have control over the heat since its my school and turtles are notorious for being gross smelling and dirty

10. FishBlast

FishBlast Tiny fish

Then yeah, good idea with the light.
    I don't know, my turtle doesn't smell (though I bathe her and clean her shell too with a toothbrush and she seems to like it), but the water may start to smell once she leaves it. Every time she enters, I give her food (she only accepts baked/grilled/boiled chicken or cooked fish, dislikes raw fish and doesn't like shrimp but she used to eat that stuff before). In before I get eaten alive for mentioning what I feed her... X_X

Then she goes out, I get to throw away the water again and put new one in case she wants to go back in.

11. phoenixgsd

phoenixgsd Member

we had a power cut once and in panic i floated a hot water bottle, it did work, thankfully the electric wasnt out for long, but i do have a emergency spare heater incase mine breaks