How To Hide Filter Intake Strainer?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ilikefishes

Reaction score
I have recently hooked up a Fluval 304 external filter to my Juwel Vision 180 litre tank. The intake strainer and tubing is pretty ugly and I have seen this clear plastic tube for sale on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/13mm-x-3mm-Clear-Acr...93%3A1|294%3A50

Does anyone know if this would be suitable to replace the existing tube, which is a dark grey colour. Also the strainer is a light grey and looks pretty rubbish - anyone know if you can get replacements in clear plastic or different colours? Have thought about putting it behind some rocks or plants to hide it but I would think this would have an impact on it cleaning power?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As long as you don't block off the intake physically, the filter will still be fine. A lot of people (myself included) hide the filter intake with plants or rock, and as I say, as long as nothing physically bungs it up you should be ok for filtration power. I have no idea if you can get replacement differently-coloured intake covers/strainers, however, but if you cover it up well then you should be laughing :)

I would think that the clear tube would start building some algae and get ugly anyway. I put a big piece of driftwood in front of mine.

Yes, my EX1200 has clear tubing and you get some serious green buildup in the tubes after a while. Nothing a good pipe brush can't clean out mind you, but still worth bearing in mind. Nice long drift-plank in front of it with some green leafy goodness to make it all seem a bit more natural and you're home free :)

Thanks I think I will hide it with some wood and plants. Another problem is that the tank has Juwel 3d background fitted. The clip that holds the strainer pipe would normally go over the side, with the sucker up against the aquarium glass. Because the background is in the way the clip wont go over properly, and ends up sticking the strainer out at a funny angle. Anyone else had this problem?

my intake strainer is fully visable and its not a small thing (fx5)

you can hide it, but i like mine to be where all the floating craps gets too,and thats now about a 3rd up the glass and nothing in its way.

ive managed to get the flow around the tank so that the crap gets pushed right into the intake. works a treat!!

I wrapped my filter and all equipment other then the actual heater in java moss, and now Im growing a moss wall to mask it even further. I only have the actual strainer not blocked, but a strategicly placed amazon sword solved that issue.

Good Luck!

Sakura

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back