How to feed algae wafres the right way??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sicklidcommunity

Reaction score
I recently tried feeding algae wafers to my african cichlids and tiger barbs and they seemed to love it ...untill after 2-3 minutes the largest fish swallows the whole wafer and later gets a bulging tummy. I wonder if there is a simpler method of feeding all the fishes equally .

I dont think there is a way to feed them all equally but you can break up the algae wafers and place it where there is a strong current coming from the filter so that the food is not concentrated in the one place where you are dropping it. Since the food is spread out and not in large pieces, there is more of a chance for everyone to get a bite

Upper level fish should be fed foods suited to them, not sinking foods intended for substrate feeders like catfish and loaches. Not likely so much a nutritional issue as one of feeding itself, such as you have noted here.

There are several flake and pellet foods intended for upper fish. There are "veggie" ones too. I use Omega One's Veggie Flake or Kelp flake for all my fish, twice a week, with different foods the other days. Omega One and New Life Spectrum are good brands, not to say there may not be others but these certainly are solid nutritional value without "meal" stuff. Your barbs would probably enjoy the sinking pellets NLS make, my Black Ruby Barbs really go after these.

Upper level fish should be fed foods suited to them, not sinking foods intended for substrate feeders like catfish and loaches. Not likely so much a nutritional issue as one of feeding itself, such as you have noted here.
Thanks for your advice ! I do have hikari pellets for my cichlids but one or two fishes always end up eating the most and others remain underfed . My idea of feeding wafers is so that every fish gets to eat some and also since i have a rainbow cichlid in there who never comes up while feeding pellets ...turns out he dosent like wafers too

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back