How to Cure Fin Rot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PhillipTheFish

Reaction score
Hello,
I know many similar threads have been posted, but it's difficult to find them all and synthesize the relevant information to my situation, so I'd greatly appreciate some advice. I got a new male veltail betta fish a week and a half ago from the pet store. I was mildly suspicious he had fin rot when I bought him, but he was so happy and active, making bubble nests almost daily, I thought I must be wrong. I am now positive he has fin rot. I started changing the water every day 4 days ago and adding aquarium salt and Bettafix, but I think it's still progressing. Is this normal? I had to take out all of the live plants in his tank, so he just has the aquarium rocks in a 0.5 gallon tank, which makes him unhappy. The tank is unfiltered and I haven't bought a heater yet because my place is really warm. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

You probably need an proper anti fungal medication, TBH.

Stress or poor water quality are the most likely causes. A half gallon tank is far too small, and being in a small, bare, unfiltered, unheated tank is going to be very, very stressful.

I feel I have to say that your fish in unlikely to recover without some serious rethinking of his environment on your part. He needs a bigger, filtered, heated tank; at least 5 gallons. Live plants would help hugely, both to give the fish some security, and to help a little with the build up of ammonia that you will be getting. You need to, urgently, get yourself some decent water tests so you can monitor the levels of ammonia and nitrite, and you need to read up on, and understand, the nitrogen cycle, if you don't already.

You probably need an proper anti fungal medication, TBH.

Stress or poor water quality are the most likely causes. A half gallon tank is far too small, and being in a small, bare, unfiltered, unheated tank is going to be very, very stressful.

I feel I have to say that your fish in unlikely to recover without some serious rethinking of his environment on your part. He needs a bigger, filtered, heated tank; at least 5 gallons. Live plants would help hugely, both to give the fish some security, and to help a little with the build up of ammonia that you will be getting. You need to, urgently, get yourself some decent water tests so you can monitor the levels of ammonia and nitrite, and you need to read up on, and understand, the nitrogen cycle, if you don't already.
Thank you for your feedback! I did have plants, but was told the medicines I was using would kill them, so I had to take them out. Do you have any recommendations for antifungal medications while I figure out how to make his environment better?

I prefer Esha 2000 fungus, finrot and bacterial medication; it's been very effective when I've had to use it, and it's plant (and shrimp) safe.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back