How To Breed Garra Rufa

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

junax

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am new to this site. Can anybody help me breed garra rufa? i got 24 of them for the past 8 months. right now i see small fries swimming around the tank.

how can i tell if its a male or female?

i was planning to do a major breeding program on them. so please do help me.

Female are larger and generally have a fuller belly than males this is about the only option.

As for breeding the far easy do it by hormone injection to induce spawning. However if your already getting fry them you can be doing to bad.
Most important thing is feeding the fry so make sure you can feed mirco foods like micro worm and newly hatched brine shrimp.

P.S. their not livebearers Here is a Video of hormone injection and manual spawning of them (Not in english)

thank you for the quick reply Sir helterskelter,

i too had already seen this video but i cant understand a word they say. i had been checking my Garra every day but it seem that i cant find any eggs. the fry just pop out of nowhere. so i just drop some blood worms and the little fries are munching the Blood worm pretty well.

if i might max out the breeding, there is a big demand for Garra on my area.

Your never breed many breeding them in a communal set up.
If you want to mass breed them you need to with in small groups of 3-4 fish as they adults will happily eat the eggs they fish which is why currently your not getting much.

Or as tin the video by hormone injecting them to rear the egs and fry away from any adults giving best results

Hi again Sir helterskelter,

So the best way is to have 1 female and 3 male on a tank with a chicken wire at the bottom of the tank so that they cant eat there eggs if they drop it?or do they stick there eggs on a rock?

I would use a bare bottomed tank with a plastic grid (better than using metal mesh) and the put lots of java moss in as well.
So may save eggs in moss and move it to rearing tank or watch for eggs on the bottom

Can read them in google books

It says their great egg eaters, so to get fry so far in a home aquaria is good going.

The google book needs to be purchase? anyway, so im going to breed them just like a gold fish? can you give me any links on any forum site regarding garra rufa. Any info is a big help. Thanks.

hi. .im bazh from Philippines. i really want to put up a business of fish spa and plan to start it in breeding. but i dont know where and how to get or buy that hormone injection. .please help me answer my question. .thank you so much. .

there are a number of online resources where you can find information on Garra Rufa or even order the actual fish and their aquariums. I found this site which proved to be quite helpful: http://www.kissingfish.gr/?lang=en

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back