How Strong Is The Lighting In My Aquarium?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

D34DLY

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

So I have this light:
http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-lighting/aquarium-t5-lighting/black-t5-fish-tank-lights-four-bulbs.html

Wattage: 96w
Bulb: T5
Number of Bulbs: 4

Vertical distance from substrate: Around 60cm
Aquarium size: 222 litres (58.6 US Gallons)
Aquarium Dimensions: 76cm (width) x 54cm (depth) x 60cm (height)

And my question is - Do I have low, medium or high lighting?

I understand that WPG is inaccurate.

Thanks Guys
smile.png

It's high light, although you may still struggle with some carpets in a tank that deep, as the light penetration at 2 feet of depth can suffer. Otherwise, high.

That's fine! I want to try and add some height with plants anyway, rather than add them to the bottom! :)

May I ask how you worked this out?

Partly on experience, I have a similarly sized tank with two T5's over it and it runs around the mid light level. You have double my lighting.

There's also the old Watts per gallon rule, for what it's worth, on a T12 tube 2 Wpg was regarded as good lighting, you have that in T5HO's, so you're going to be getting a fair bit more light coming out that.

The only real way to tell is with a PAR meter, or by using it. If it grows lots of algae, then you need more CO2 and ferts for the lighting, or you could raise the light to cut the PAR at the water level (or just turn one or two off).

It will of course depend on the height you suspend the lights, the substrate reflectivity, the shadowing from hardscape and other plants, and many other things.

Oh right. Well due to money, I do not plan on injecting CO2 for awhile. Will it be fine if I just purchase some floating plants to lower the light levels a bit and reduce algae?

Most reactions

Back