The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Hi!
So one of my Bettas, Aztec, is starting to get a little slow(?) and Iā€™m wondering how to tell how old he is. Iā€™ve had him for a while, more than a year at least, and he was pretty big back in the store.
He is a tail biter so I canā€™t tell anything from his fins. (Yes, Iā€™ve witnessed him actually doing it, itā€™s not the decorations). He is also twice the size of my other Betta, who I think is rather young.
Aztec hides under his bridge a lot, but that might be because the water flow is a little more powerful because the water level is low (Iā€™ll fix that).
So basically: what are some things to look for in an aging Betta?
Thanks!

I have an aging betta myself. Some of his signs were:
1). Losing color, some areas of color looked faded.
2). Fins frayed and ragged. Water quality is fine and I have him in a divided tank. Other betta is fine.
3). Eyesight worsened. He now lunges for his food instead going right up to it.
4). Loss of weight.
5). Naps most of the day.
6.). Sometimes takes effort to go to top of water for food.

I have provided mine with a fake floating lotus flower for him to rest on. That way He can be closer to the top and I can drop food in front of him. Hope this helps you. Good luck!

Hi!
Yes, for Aztec, I have to open the lid and feed him one pellet at a time right in his face, otherwise he wonā€™t see it even though it is in his field of view...
He does sleep a lot.
As for the weight, Aztec has a very round belly, and has since I bought him. It makes him look very over fed but heā€™s not, I space out his feedings and let him fast sometimes.
I cannot tell if his fins are ragged because heā€™s chewed them so much...
He hasnā€™t lost his color though! Heā€™s as beautiful as when I first saw him.
He also has a leaf hammok but he never uses it.
I didnā€™t think he was very old, however I needed to make sure.
Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back