How often do you clean your tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

BettaMan2000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve been hearing loads of different stuff about how often your supposed to do a tank clean out that ranges from once a week to once a year?

Iā€™m pretty confused as to how many times Iā€™ll ultimately have to clean my 54 litre tank!

Water changes should be done once a week; the amount depends on your stocking, but somewhere between 25 and 50% is average. You should lightly clean the substrate as well

Every month or so, it's a good idea to do a bit more of a 'deep clean', making sure there isn't a big build up of mulm under your wood and rocks, for instance, or making sure plants aren't too overgrown and blocking another plant's light, things like that; the fish stay in the tank.

As for 'cleaning out' as in a total strip down, removing all the fish and emptying the tank completely; in the old days this was common practice and done once every year or two, but most people don't do it nowadays; with the better regular tank maintenance we do now, it shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks!

It could you tell me exactly what you mean by the monthly deep clean?

A monthly deep clean for me is moving some of the decor, being super thorough with vacuuming the gravel/sand, and changing 50% or more of the water. I also take the chance to wipe down the glass, inside and out. Every 2-3 months I like to rinse out the filter media in the old tank water as well.

When youā€™re doing a water change and replacing tropical tank water, do you need to heat this before itā€™s added to the tank?

Otherwise itā€™s probably going to be too cold and would drastically affect the overall tank temperature Imvho!

I have a bit different approach. First, in agreement with other members, regular maintenance must involve water changes, no less than once each week (on the same day is best). I do close to 60% or sometimes more. Provided the water parameters of tap water and tank water are basically similar--and the point of doing water changes is to ensure they remain similar--this is extremely beneficial. [This is why going down the road of having to adjust your source water is such a risk.] During the water change, I clean the inside of the front glass with a sponge-type scraper, or an actual sponge by hand. I rarely if ever see anything on the glass, but I do this regardless; surfaces under water develop a biofilm rapidly, and microscopic critters and algae adhere to this. If ignored this can sometimes be harder to remove--green spot algae for example--so weekly cleaning means clear front glass and if you happen to forget one week, no problem. Think of this as prevention, not reaction to a problem.

I rarely touch the substrate. I do clean the sand in my smallest tank which has my spawning pygmy cories, but the other tanks are not touched (they all have play sand). I never dig under wood or rock except when I tear down a tank. The anaerobic spots are as important as aerobic areas (which will be naturally maintained by plant roots, snails, some fish, and not overfeeding or overstocking). But not having too deep a substrate tends to eliminate most problems before they occur--another case of prevention not reaction. The substrate is the most important component of an aquarium, more than the filter. You can (or should be able to) do without a filter, but not without a healthy substrate.

Filter. On my two largest tanks with a canister, I rinse the media under the tap every 6-8 weeks. I used to let this go for months, with no issues; but for reasons I won't get into now, got on to this 6-8 week schedule. The main thing is, you want the flow from the filter to remain steady, and this means ensuring the organics (the brown muck) in the filter and which accumulates in the filter tubes is rinsed out. I have seen the flow significantly decrease from buildup of the organics in the filter return hose.

On my smaller tanks I have sponge filters, and one has a small internal filter that is nothing more than foam and a motor. I rinse these at every water change without fail. I probably don't need to, but it doesn't hurt, and it is a good habit to get into.

The prime job of a filter is water circulation and mechanical filtration, which is the removal of particulate matter (often microscopic) so the water remains clear. Clear and clean are two different things, and here we are talking clear. As for clean, that involves biological filtration, and most of this will (or should) occur in the substrate. Obviously biological filtration will occur in any filter basically, but you should not regard this as its primary purpose.

The above is all the maintenance my tanks get, over years. I guess the longest I have had a tank in operation from set-up is five maybe six years. Most times I set up a tank, and I might decide to move those fish to a larger (or smaller) tank and do something different, or I changed the substrate from fine gravel to sand tank by tank, or when I moved. Once a tank is established--which is a very different thing from cycled--you really do not want to be messing with it beyond the water changes and filter rinsing. A balanced biological system will ensure more stable water parameters, water conditions, and fish health, so leave it alone aside from the regular maintenance.

When youā€™re doing a water change and replacing tropical tank water, do you need to heat this before itā€™s added to the tank?

Otherwise itā€™s probably going to be too cold and would drastically affect the overall tank temperature Imvho!

Some people heat a large bucket of water with a fish tank heater then change the tank water with that before adding that to the tank.

Others add hot water to the large bucket from the kettle and use a thermometer to check temperature.

Others like me use hot water from the tap mixed with cold water.

I dont know why some people do not use hot water from the tap but i assume it depends on if the hot water is heated in a tank, or something to do with old piping causing the water to be toxic. I assume in newer buildings this is no longer a problem

Ah ok thatā€™s interesting, so you donā€™t recommend cleaning the gravel then Byron?

Is it safe to add warm water directly from the tap ie from a domestic boiler?

Ah ok thatā€™s interesting, so you donā€™t recommend cleaning the gravel then Byron?

Correct, but this assumes the substrate is not too deep, the tank is not overstocked biologically, and the fish are not overfed. [Everything is relative in an aquarium.] As I said, you need some anaerobic areas for a healthy colony of various bacteria, but if this gets too much it can kill the fish. Organics in the substrate decompose as they are broken down by various species of bacteria (snails are good because they break the organics down faster for the bacteria to more quickly deal with); this is the major source of CO2 for plants, as well of course as ammonia also taken up by plants. And other nutrients needed by plants come from this process, so you don't want to discourage it, but just have it balanced.

I said above, everything is relative. Something that aquarists must always remember is that any single thing you do inside the aquarium is almost certainly going to have consequences for the system. As a very simple example, using an antibiotic for a bacterial disease can easily kill all the nitrifying bacteria in hours, and then of course you have sudden explosion of ammonia, then nitrite...all caused by adding one little spoon of some medication.

Is it safe to add warm water directly from the tap ie from a domestic boiler?

Usually, yes. I have always used a mix of hot and cold from the tap when filling my tanks, which I do with a Python hose directly from the faucet into the tank. If you have reason to think that your hot water tank/boiler is problematic, rusting or corroding, and minerals are getting into the hot water, then that would bee different. Copper from new water pipes in your house/apartment can kill fish, even at levels "safe" for humans. All things to be aware of, but specific to your individual situation.

BettaMan, if I remember correctly you are in the UK?

If you are, it depends on what type of hot water system you have. With a combi boiler, you can use hot tap water to warm the new water. But if you have a hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard you need to boil a kettle - this is because of the header tank in the attic being open topped.

Thanks for that guys!

Essjay, I am indeed in the uk and have a combiboiler, but Iā€™m not sure what you mean by using that water to warm the new water, do you not mean use the water from the combi as the new water?

Sorry, what I meant to say is that with a combi boiler, run hot and cold tap water into your bucket to get the right temperature for the new water.

BettaMan, if I remember correctly you are in the UK?

If you are, it depends on what type of hot water system you have. With a combi boiler, you can use hot tap water to warm the new water. But if you have a hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard you need to boil a kettle - this is because of the header tank in the attic being open topped.

Sorry to butt into this thread but i have a question related to this quote. Would a domestic hot water supply that is heated by a standard boiler and heat exchanger be ok if the header tank fitted has a lid? My header tank is a large plastic tank with a lid on the top. I've been using the domestic hot water supply to temperature match my water when filling my tanks with no ill effects so far, but want to make sure this is ok to carry on with. (I fill buckets of water via a mixer tap then dechlorinate with Prime before filling or refilling my aquariums)

In theory, yes. But can you guarantee there is nothing nasty in there?
This is the reason you should never, ever use hot water from this type of system for drinking or cooking. And in the type of house where the upstairs cold water also comes from the header tank you should not even clean your teeth with it.

Most reactions

trending

Back