How much substrate for a 125L tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

joshchar

Reaction score
Hiya everyone,

Just wondered how much substrate I would need for a 125L tank? And how much does it differ for sand and gravel? I know it would probably also come down to preference but what would be the minimum? Say for a planted aquarium.

Thanks for your help
Josh

It is the dimensions (length and width) that you need to know when deciding on the amount of substrate, along with the intended plants that will be planted in the substrate. I use play sand in all my tanks, and generally have it roughly 2 inches overall depth, meaning flat across the tank. You can build it up a bit deeper toward the back where larger-rooted plants will grow, and along the front I often have it 1 inch. Without knowing the dimensions, but that this is a 125 liter (33 gallon), if it is say 36 X 12 inches (90 X 30 cm), one 25 kg bag of play sand would do it, maybe with some to spare which is always handy; I sometimes add half a cup of sand here or there as time goes by and the substrate shifts naturally.

Welcome to TFF.

Byron.

Hiya Byron,

The tank is 87x53 so not far away from what you said. Thats great I will get 25kg and give that a go. I was hoping to have it sloping slightly from the back so will see how it goes.

Thanks very much for the advice
Josh

Use this site:
https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/gravel-rectangular-solid

If you need to convert the measurements from metric to imperial you can use google for that

This site is useful because you can choose how deep you want the substrate to be which is usually 5cm/2". You dont want too little because if you have live plants they will uproot and you dont want too little because anaerobic bacteria will ne present in the deep layers

You can also choose what material your substrate is

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back