How Much Salt?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

danon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Just out of interest what make of salt do people use?

What size tub do you buy?

With weekly water changes, how much does it cost, per month for salt?

Still reading up on marines,tanks etc etc. Never done so much reading :shout:

I use TMC Pro Reef salt, I only water change once a fortnight in a 220 ish litre system with sump. My water changes are less as it is not a nano, nano's are better once a week. I also have to add mag.calc, etc because of this.

I started with a nano myself and was buying the 4kg boxes, soon got fed up with replacing the boxes and it works out more expensive. I then started to buy the 10kg bucket, again this is cheaper then the boxes but does not last a long time. I upgraded then so managed to get the 25kg bucket on offer at £60, which is cheap for this salt.

It will work out much cheaper if you can buy the 25kg bucket of whatever salt you decide to buy, with a nano this would last a very long time. It will last a reasonable amount of time with my system too. I am just finishing off my 10kg bucket so will start the 25kg soon.

Thanks for that, just getting a rough understanding of cost.

What about electricity? Has anyone noticed a large increase in there bills since having a tank?

Looks like i will be buying a nano tank, long story, it is in my other threads.

Was wandering with the lights been on for 10 hours a day, chiller, skimmer, powerheads and anything else running whether this greatly increased your quarterly bills :sick:

Must admit I have noticed a difference or should I say the other half noticed the difference

Seffie x

:fish:

Seffie, my tank conincided with Andrew fitting a timer to our immersion heater. The tank could no way use as much as the immersion did if you forgot to turn it off :crazy:

I have a TL 550 cant say I notice any diffence but have heard of some scary bills with metal halide lights

lets face it, with the amount of plugs we have stuck in the wall, it's got to make a difference :lol:

Oh and by the way, back to the original question - I use D & D salt as it is higher in calcium and mag :good:

seffie x

:fish:

Make sure you get the right Salt. I brough TMC but I was having Calcium issues then I noticed (well Tina pointed i out) that I should be using pro reef. So depending on what setup you want will depend on what Salt you need as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back