How Much Is To Much Water For Betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ZippyatYork

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
The research goes on. How much water is to much water for betta? lokking at tanks and have my eyes on a beautiful setup from greenmachine uk. but fancy a long and shallow tank maybe 50cm or 60cm long and high im still arguing with the mrs.

I don't really think that there's such thing as too much water for a Betta lol. 
Most Betta's are happy in whatever tank they have (as long as its not too small)

The tank you're describing sounds a great size for one. :)

My betta lives in a 60l tank. Bettas in the wild live in Huggeee spaces of water. So the bigger the better as with any fish.

Whatever the space they need some kind of stimulation to keep them from ripping their own fins to relieve the boredom and/or stress - lots of plants to investigate, a pingpong ball to play with at the surface and some people even have mirrors to use for a few minutes at a time for them to flare at. I personally don't bother with a mirror but mine has some tank-mates to play with or chase so he's never bored as far as I know.
What kind of betta are you hoping to get?

The myth that bettas need smaller spaces is just that...a myth.  They are happiest with plenty of room to move around and play.  They do best in longer shallower bodies of water so they can have lots of surface area to breathe so the tank you have in mind sounds good.

Thanks for all the replys guys its down to a 30 cm cube or 60cm by 15 cm shallow tank both ada tanks and will be planted. Can't wait to get stuck in.
As for a betta I'm unsure think a half moon but as for colours the mrs will decide I hope red..... So she will pick blue

Wildbetta said:
The myth that bettas need smaller spaces is just that...a myth.  They are happiest with plenty of room to move around and play.  They do best in longer shallower bodies of water so they can have lots of surface area to breathe so the tank you have in mind sounds good.

Agree.  A betta would love to have a swimming pool size water to explore as long as the water was not any deeper then1- 2 feet. They don't do well in deep tanks.

snowflake311 said:

Agree.  A betta would love to have a swimming pool size water to explore as long as the water was not any deeper then1- 2 feet. They don't do well in deep tanks.
Well it will hopefully what tank mates would you recommend?

I'd wait and see what your betta is like first - some are ok with tank-mates and some aren't. They can be the aggressor or the recipient of aggression especially with fish with big fins that they either see as competitors and attack or the other fish can be jealous and nip at their fins.. See what his temperament is first then decide whether or not to get him some pals.

Mamashack said:
I'd wait and see what your betta is like first - some are ok with tank-mates and some aren't. They can be the aggressor or the recipient of aggression especially with fish with big fins that they either see as competitors and attack or the other fish can be jealous and nip at their fins.. See what his temperament is first then decide whether or not to get him some pals.

Good point thank you :)

I think a 20Gal Long is a great some for bettas and there is enough room for a tank mate.  Best tank mates are small Schooling fish. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back