How much food to feed?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ok so new life spectrum flake omega one veggie flake and bug bites and alternate each day?

there is no right or wrong, written in stone rule....as you can see right here, its all a matter of personal opinion, fishkeeping is a constant learning process, experiment and find out what works best.....every tank is different,

i would feed tetramin OR omega one flakes as a regular staple diet, one OR two times a day

anything OTHER then that i would use very sparingly, maybe once a week,

the flakes provide a good all around diet, so your fish dont really need anything else, anything else is considered a treat really

But he flakes don't go down to the bottom of tank for the panda Corys right?

Ok so new life spectrum flake omega one veggie flake and bug bites and alternate each day?

This is what I would recommend. And it is very simple...you are ensuring the fish are eating wholesome nutritious foods. No one can argue this...note, I said argue "this." Those I mentioned do have better ingredients, it is stated on the labels and proven by tests, so you are ahead of the game, with nothing to lose even if another brand might be comparable. That is what cannot be argued.

And yes, you need some comparable sinking foods, as cories in my experience will not eat flakes even if they do lie on the substrate. Aside from which, the sinking foods intended for substrate-feeding fish are specifically developed to provide the nutritional components such fish need.

Fluval Bug Bites Tropical Formula Description. Fluval Bug Bites are specifically formulated to address the natural, insect-based feeding habits of fish, with added vitamins, minerals and other trace nutrients important to their health and vitality.

Other than the soldier fly larva, there isnt really much in the way of insects on the ingredients list.

Other than the soldier fly larva, there isnt really much in the way of insects on the ingredients list.

It has bug larvae and salmon fish plus minerals. I wouldn't feed this exclusively as I said previously, but once or twice a week, it is a nice change for the fish. We all know how nutritional insect larvae is. And we are spared the "wheat gluten meal" stuff.

Somewhere the other day I came across a chart of the maximum levels for aquarium fish of fat, protein, carbohydrates, etc, but I can't find it now.

Hi again. Do any of yous know of hikari sinking flakes for corys?

Hi again. Do any of yous know of hikari sinking flakes for corys?

I don't think there is any such food. I certainly cannot find sinking flake doing a search online. Flakes tend to float until they are waterlogged, then they sink. Proper sinking foods sink immediately. Cories will not in my experience eat flakes even if some do reach the bottom. Flakes are intended for upper water fish, no matter how fast they might sink.

Sorry they are called hikari tropical sinking wafers, they seem to be very good the fish love them

Sorry they are called hikari tropical sinking wafers, they seem to be very good the fish love them

Did you see the ingredients in these? All the "bad" stuff we have mentioned earlier in this thread:

Fish meal, wheat germ meal, soybean meal, wheat flour, whole crushed silkworm pupae, dried seaweed meal, dried bakery product, brewers dried yeast, fish oil,​

All those "meals" and I'd like someone to explain the benefit of wheat flour, Dried bakery product, dried yeast... Terrible.

And on the new life spectrums there is an ingredient called cereals, in the u.k cereals are wheat, yeast there is also seaweed and ash in it

And on the new life spectrums there is an ingredient called cereals, in the u.k cereals are wheat, yeast there is also seaweed and ash in it

Which specific product is this? My package of all purpose flake does not have any cereal. seaweed is OK, and ash.

New Life Spectrum Optimum All Purpose Flakes Ingredients:

Whole Antarctic Krill, Whole Fish, Whole Wheat Flour, Ulva Seaweed, Chlorella Algae, Garlic, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Scallops, Omega-3, Fish Oil, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous, Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate.

No 'cereal' although there is whole wheat flour.

Footnote: I had been feeding Omega One Fresh Water Flakes exclusively with little/no trailing poo. As soon as I began feeding some NLS Optimum, I began seeing poo trails. I have to believe that the NLS has more grain than the Omega One.

Last edited:
I'd like someone to explain the benefit of wheat flour

The benefit is to the company.

Its cheap filler and a binding agent, some use soy bean, as most modern fish food is highly nutritious imagine how small a Betta pellet for example would be without filler.

Pure Spirulina powder as a filler would be better.

Most reactions

Back