How Much Are Oscars Worth?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

didz04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi i was wondering how much are oscars at around 10" in any colour, that is albino or tiger oscars or others.
How much do they cost on average and what is the maximum but fair price you would pay?
How much do they go for in LFS shops?

from what i find in canada. thats pretty accurate here also. About 15-30 bucks for them. sometimes free if the guy has no way to keep it, or just doesnt care(which seems common in this hobby)
sad

Kyle

hmm, i just sold my 12" oscars which there were 5 of them in a 4ft tank (which i know is way too small for them). The story is that i bought a 4ft tank 3 days ago with a heater 5 oscars about 12", 10", 11", 10" & 5", i had a severum at 8", 3 plecs at 13-14", convict 4" and juwel cichlid 4", these were all in a 4ft tank.
So basically i have sold them to someone today who has a 8ft by 3ft by 3ft tank which is good.
Basically i told the guy that to buy all of these fish for £75, is that a fair price? Because when he came he thought i said £35 and said to me that they are not worth much anyway. When i realized that he wanted to buy them for £35, we had already put the fish in the poly box and calataped the box up already. However at the end i agreed to give all the fish for £45 which i'm still upset including when there were already 2 more people interested. The guy came all the way from Manchester and i live in Doncaster, i felt sorry for him to come all this way so i thought i might as well just sell them to him.
My question is would £75 be a bargain still or would that be normal price. By the way these plecs were common.
Thanks

I think you got the bargain cos of how quickly they grow..most people wont buy them when they bigger :)

Isit, well i guess yeah it's about rehoming them or upgrading to a bigger tank if they care, thanks that does make me feel better like i haven't really lost out.
Thanks.

Saw an adult breeding pair on aquarists classifieds the other day for £30 which i thought was quite cheap especially for a breeding pair.

Ive seen an un matched pair of adults from around £45 at some of the expensive retailers and even babies at around £7 for a 3" oscar.

Depends on where you go i suppose, some poeple just cant house them so they often give them for free.

Alot of Oscar's go privatly free to a good hme round where i live, if the shop take them off you they'll sell full grown ones at £10 each

ISaw wild oscar babys around 5 inch? for £8.50 Eachfully grown are around £15 - £30 depending on the breed/type...

oscars are so extremely common in the trade, that they really aren't worth anything.
its pretty much worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
unless it is some kind of rare species like Astronotus sp. orbicularus or Astronotus crassipinnis

I know of one shop that sells large oscars, most all are trade ins. They sell them for $25, knowing how they work they pay somewhere around $5-$8 for trade in. You got at least double the trade in price, or sold them for a little over half of what a shop would here. The way I see it you didn't do too bad.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back